Red Dots & Lasers on shotguns.

Is this stuff really necessary on a shotgun or is it more of a feel good thing? I mean we are talking about a round that doesn't hold a tight group much past 20 yards anyways. I was always taught as a youngster to always look down the barrel and to this day for me anyways is still the most reliable and accurate means of staying on target. Red dots are like the cell phones of today. Nobody seems to be able to function without one. I think they are way more trouble than what their worth on a shotgun platform. I guess I'm old fashioned. On a side note, they do look tacticool though.032.gif

^ just my opinion, please don't be offended either way.

Edited by SHOTGUN MESSIAH

Red dot optics do have a place!

We shoot USPSA open division.

That allows an optic on all three firearms..Rifle can have two (scope and dot)

For close fast shooting the red dot is about the fastest sight to use, and at long range you transition to the scope.

In pistols the Cmore railway is king, and found on 95% of all open pistols.

In open shotguns the small sights are most prevalent STS,fast fire,RMR,ect but some eotech or railways.

Keep in mind this is competition shooting, speed is critical, but you dont die if an optic fails or a battery is dead.

That said, most shooters will check or change batteries before every match, and check the sight on each and every stage.

Laser grips in self defence handguns are quite good for elderly folks, or people with poor eyesight.

Lasers in the LE world are all Hollywood very very few use them.

Lights can be useful I attach one on both rifle and shotgun but when needed.

I can see how some people want every kind of accessory in the world bolted to a gun,It seems to have some kind of cool factor in certain circles, you mostly see in in social media.

If your goal is a cool pic on facebook thats one thing.

If your gun is a tool you use in competition, or one your life depends on, thats something else.

jim

It's just a damn shame high quality optics cost $500 and up.

I'll take my fixed sights any day of the week over dots and lasers, at least on the shottie.

like I said, unless your shooting slugs through a rifled barrel It really doesn't matter how dialed in your

red dot is your group is going to be so scattered past 20 yards it is really pointless.

But everyone has their own way of doing things I guess so whatever works best for you.

Edited by SHOTGUN MESSIAH

I'll take my fixed sights any day of the week over dots and lasers, at least on the shottie.

like I said, unless your shooting slugs through a rifled barrel It really doesn't matter how dialed in your

red dot is your group is going to be so scattered past 20 yards it is really pointless.

But everyone has their own way of doing things I guess so whatever works best for you.

Well, my S12 with a red-dot says BS! I was shooting it on the 100yd. rifle range a while back and got it sighted-in. It can easily hit a paper plate at that distance with regular ol' Remington Sluggers. Easily "Minute of Man."  ;)

I do have a Polychoke, with it set to "Slug," so maybe that does help a bit.

I can't concur with this. I shoot my MKA at 50 and 100 yards with slug and have no problems with groupings. We're not talking MOA here

but center mass no issues.

IMG_1233.jpg

That was 50 yards with the stock plastic front sight and no rear sight at all! I was initially using an A2 style rear sight and it cracked in half (cast aluminum) so I just resorted to guessing :)