16" conversion pics

post-2184-1137371587_thumb.jpgpost-2184-1137371442_thumb.jpgpost-2184-1137371535_thumb.jpgpost-2184-1137371506_thumb.jpgSome pics of what my rifle looks right now. Tapco G2 trigger, hammer, sear, Saw pistol grip, and Galil style front handguard. (enough US parts to be legal?)The Galil hand guard I thought was ugly so I cut it down a bit and reshaped the bottom. It was uncomfortable while the rifle was shouldered in the original form. The handguard retainer was made to fit the Saiga in 7.62x39 so I had to widen it and make the bolt thinner. The original screw to hold the handguard to the receiver does not fit so a screw from the hardware store was used. The buttstock is original. Its cut shorter, reshaped with a hacksaw, files, and filled in with epoxy. Next thing is a flash hider. I'll wait for the high caps. I don't want to modify the receiver.

Hell yeah, that's some crafty work with the stock! :super:

Also the handguard looks nice like that :up:

BTW, Tony Rumore is selling 20 rounders for that at $65 each. No mods to the gun!

Edited by dinzag

Hi,

Thanks. Saw Tony's 20rd mag. Looks good. No funds for that right now. For the retainer, I measured the barrel thickness where the retainer is going to be. I then marked off how much I was going to grind away on the retainer with the dremel tool and file. The barrel does taper so the retainer should be ground at a taper. Mine could of been better. Once you are satisfied that you have the proper spacing, put the handguard on the rifle to make sure its okay and then epoxy the retainer on the handguard. The screw that goes across the retainer needs to be thinner in the middle so that it will clear the barrel once the handguard and retainer is in place. I just made some flat cuts with a file. As for the screw to hold the handguard in the rear, I don't know what the thread size is. The screw is about 1/2" long. All I did was take the handguard to the Ace hardware store and tried a bunch of screws.

For installation, you need to slip the handguard on and keep it up near the front of the gas block. Then put the screw in the retainer. Don't tighten it up too much. Then slide the handguard back and then put the screw in the bottom of the receiver. Once you do that, tighten the screw in the retainer.

post-2184-1137403850_thumb.jpgpost-2184-1137403975_thumb.jpgpost-2184-1137404029_thumb.jpgpost-2184-1137404069_thumb.jpg