I have mixed comments on this story...

first off, it is NICE TO SEE the lawmen not being held above the law, and some troopers getting in some REAL Trouble for what they probably figured was "ok for them, since they were troopers"

As far as the doctor goes... who knows...

The doc will probably get nailed... and the troopers will probably get much more lenient sentences BECAUSE they are troopers...

Or.. on the flipside, maybe the troopers will be made examples of and get the max.. I dunno...

Still...

who knows....

Yeah, they could have just had the parts laying around to MAKE a machine gun. That alone constitutes a violation in the ATF's eyes.

As for two of them being troopers, they expect don't get the same treatment as regular citizens in respect to machinegun ownership. Assuming that Illinois allows them to own transferrable ones in the first place, the troopers would surely have been much more likely to get a CLEO signature than the average Joe.

That's my problem in my jurisdiction anyway... law enforcement playing favorites.

I used to live in IL. The only legal MG, AOW, SBS is with a MG dealers license or registered to a law enforcement agency. There are some in civilian hands that were grandfathered in before the ban which was put in place I think in the late sixties. There is a lot of Illegal stuff floating around and the cops have been known to keep stuff that has been confiscated. Another cop is not going to ask for paperwork so they can get away with it. The BATF is not like this and will get anyone at any time. I think all those guys are screwed.