Long story short, friend of a friend found these two black powders.

I don't know shit about them. They look old and I was curious about what these would go for.

What should I be looking for to determine if these are real and not reproductions?

Thanks

post-45461-0-17527100-1401246132_thumb.jpgpost-45461-0-53634300-1401246153_thumb.jpg

post-45461-0-75058900-1401246172_thumb.jpg

Neither one is a reproduction.

The top is a French 1790 pattern fusil that has been shortened (should have 3 barrel bands and barrel should be 39" long and .69 caliber).  Many of these were converted to percussion and became Potsdam muskets.  I have a Swiss Federal Musket that is the Swiss conversion.  The lock components (cock (hammer), frizzen, pan and spring) aren't correct or original to the gun.  Might be a Potsdam that someone tried to re-convert to flint.

The bottom looks like a 1842 Springfield, possibly an 1816 common musket.  It has a percussion hammer, but has a pan for a flintlock.  Can you read anything on the lock plate?  On the rear of the lock plate, it should have a date and say either "Spring" over "Field" or possibly Harpers Ferry.  Should also have an eagle in the middle of the plate under the pan.

Macbeau.

• Like 1

The top is a French 1790 pattern fusil that has been shortened (should have 3 barrel bands and barrel should be 39" long and .69 caliber). Many of these were converted to percussion and became Potsdam muskets. I have a Swiss Federal Musket that is the Swiss conversion. The lock components (cock (hammer), frizzen, pan and spring) aren't correct or original to the gun. Might be a Potsdam that someone tried to re-convert to flint.

The bottom looks like a 1842 Springfield, possibly an 1816 common musket. It has a percussion hammer, but has a pan for a flintlock. Can you read anything on the lock plate? On the rear of the lock plate, it should have a date and say either "Spring" over "Field" or possibly Harpers Ferry. Should also have an eagle in the middle of the plate under the pan.

Macbeau.

I'll have to go look. I was just sent the pix.

What would you consider a fair price for each?

The top is a French 1790 pattern fusil that has been shortened (should have 3 barrel bands and barrel should be 39" long and .69 caliber). Many of these were converted to percussion and became Potsdam muskets. I have a Swiss Federal Musket that is the Swiss conversion. The lock components (cock (hammer), frizzen, pan and spring) aren't correct or original to the gun. Might be a Potsdam that someone tried to re-convert to flint.

The bottom looks like a 1842 Springfield, possibly an 1816 common musket. It has a percussion hammer, but has a pan for a flintlock. Can you read anything on the lock plate? On the rear of the lock plate, it should have a date and say either "Spring" over "Field" or possibly Harpers Ferry. Should also have an eagle in the middle of the plate under the pan.

Macbeau.

I'll have to go look. I was just sent the pix.

What would you consider a fair price for each?

Without seeing them first hand, it's hard to say.  The top is cobbled together and pretty rough.  I would call it a "wall hanger" . It might have $200 in re-sellable parts, if you wanted to go to the trouble.

The bottom looks like a flint to percussion conversion that was stopped mid-conversion.  Bore condition would be important as would ignition system.

Both should be smoothbores and .69 caliber. 

If it were me, I'd pass on both.

Decent, shootable and correct versions of either are available in the $800 - $1200 range.

Macbeau...

Edited by macbeau