Saiga Removeable Stock?

I want a Saiga Sporter as my next rifle. I like the synthetic furniture and shorter barrel of the standard rifle, but I really want the removeable stock of the wood furntiture"special edition."

Is there a trunnion I can install to allow a detachable stock? If I can use cheaper AK mags too, all the better! Cost, federal import laws and compliance with CA stupid gun laws are all considerations.

I live in CA and no interest in a full conversion and foldable stocks would have to be pinned open.

I'd like to keep the original synthetic stocks because I'd like to do a "fakelite" finish on them and my mags.

Thanks for helping a noob!

Not sure about availability, but you might run into legal issues. Detachable stocks have a different legal status than folders - the overall length of a rifle with a folding stock is considered the full length with the stock extended. With a detachable stock, I believe the overall length is calculated with the stock detached - and an AKM with a 16" barrel is a little less than 26" long without a rear tang or stock - which would make it an SBR, unless the barrel was extended to meet the overall length requirement.

I was looking at close-ups of the stock. Looks like you might be able to put one bolt through the main north/south screw holes at an angle. Maybe using a threaded sleave inside the stock. The holes on the receiver would have to be re-threaded.

I might buy a used stock and play with it awhile...

Just wondering what the use for the detachable stock would be?  It would be extremely hard to shoot in standard sporter configuration without a stock or with a folded stock since you would not have a pistol grip to hold on to. 

Based on CA DOJ rules I think you'd be considered making an assault weapon based on what you want to do.  Here is the section:

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

1. A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
    1. A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
    2. A thumbhole stock.
    3. A folding or telescoping stock.
    4. A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
    5. A flash suppressor.
    6. A forward pistol grip.
  2. A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
  3. A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

Looks like you'd be in violation of section 1C by adding a folding stock(not sure about removable though).  Also depending on overall length you may run afoul of section 3.

Good luck making a Cali legal one, I'm having the same hassle as well without the ability to do a full conversion to pistol grip because I don't want to add a bullet button. 

Edited by Protectandserve