Hello Gentlemen:

I want to begin learning long range shooting (at least 500 yds.) and I need an explanation about the difference between two styles of "mil-scopes." I am on a budget, and I've learned about SWFA scopes. They seem to be more than enough for my purposes, but don't cost as much as Leupolds. Interestingly, they were developed for a Navy contract. 

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Scopes-C1719.aspx

What is the difference between MOA and MRAD scopes? Obviously, the reticles are different. How are they functionally different? I am wondering which style is easier for a newbie like me to use. The SWFA rep said the MRAD reticle negates the need to do a conversion from MOA to MILs ... or something like that. I don't even have the jargon down yet. A Mil-Dot slide rule card they sell supposedly wouldn't be needed either with an MRAD scope. That's what the rep said. 

I learned about these scopes while watching an extensive series of Youtube videos titled "Sniper 101" by "Tyborasaurus Rex." My head is swirling with information I never knew. In an episode about scopes, he recommended just getting the SWFA fixed 10x Mil-Dot scope, but this might have been before the MRAD scopes were available. 

My rifle is a Savage 10 FCP-K in .308. All I know is I need a good Mil-whatever scope on it (10x seems to be the most popular power), and a picatinny base for the round bridge of a Savage 10. I'll begin shooting with Federal Premium 168 gr. match ammo since I can't find .308 brass to reload right now. 

Anyway ... I'd just like to know the difference between Mil-Dot and MRAD reticles so I can make a more informed decision. I am set on getting an SWFA scope. I just want to get the right one for me and my novice skill level. 

Thanks guys. I am very thankful for this website. 

Edited by Squeaky

Basically,

MOA = Minute of angle which is .0036% of any distance.  IE: 1 inch at 100yds or 10" at 1,000 yds.

MRAD - Millradian Scale which is 1 meter wide (39 inches) at 1,000 meters (1,100yds).  MilDot's use millradian scale.  Usually usung 1/2, 3/4 and 1 mil sized dots.

As for magnification, the usual rule of thumb, at a minimum, is 1X of magnification per 100 yards/meters of distance to target.  IE: 6x for 600yd/m targets, 10x for 1,000yd/m targets.  Of course you can up (or lower) the power, but 1X per100 is the basic standard.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

And then when you get that figured out you will ponder which focal plane you want your reticle to be in.

Footballs or circles?

Where was my glass made and why does it suck in an evening rain storm?

Here is some good basic stuff. http://www.gunthorp.com/rifle_work.htm

The dope that cheats it for you. http://www.mildot.com/

Good luck shooting!

• Like 1