S12 wood dilemma and vepr .308 questions

Ironwood Vs Timbersmith - So I want wood on my S12, But I'm stuck on what way to go. TS  got pushed back to October, And I know I'd have to

modify the hand guard to work. But I like the cheesy fake red dye vs the original lacquer "Russian Red", just to dark for me, I like the more bold red and

not having to find hardware. BUT IWD is in stock so to speak and from most reviews I gather the wood is a tad better in quality and I wont have to fit the

hand guard. I'm a welder not a wood worker so removing wood for fitting is one thing staining wood applying lacquer to get the look I want is not something

I look forward to. So basically I'm asking If I do go IWD for the S12 where can I find the hardware? every google search I try just finds entire stock sets. And

has anyone tried a stain/dye to get a look more akin to the TS line(pics or it didn't happen).

Vepr .308 - Picked one up just before the sanctions hit from classicfirearms.com. And I plan on getting the IWD stock for it, but I want to find find a svd

style break. I like the one from Black Horse Arsenal but its a pre order item ATM and have seen some bad reviews for BHA anyone got some leads on

something along them lines? Also plan on getting the TWS rail for it, have one for my x39, but unlike my x39 I reload .308 and the case dents concern

me anyone have a solution that doesn't involve weather striping and is still visually appealing?

Hello

Here's what Dinzag's hardware and IWD's wood did for me. I know it's not your color, but other than that.....

Dinzag does all the heavy lifting when it comes to getting the forend mounted.

Brownells has some terrific and simple finishes for whatever type of wood you wind up with.

post-3965-0-00416800-1407775154_thumb.jpg

post-3965-0-02461000-1407775174_thumb.jpg

-Guido

• Like 2

Right now its a stock sporter not sure on model, it looks like every stock saiga 12 I have seen. its a 2011 MX03 under the PCT stamp is the only other number besides basic markings. probably not getting the dinzag for the upper handguard right away, wasnt going to at all but now I will some day, with the sanctions in place its like fuck it go all in. right now saving funds to send the internals for the 12 and .308 to cobra and if he has a sale before I can send them out maybe the x39 also, just for shits n giggles.

and guido, thats a hardwood I assume? I was going to go Laminated Birch, But if i did go hardwood I'd go classic look like that. Just the non laminated stocks that are red look to much like plastic to me lol I'm a fan of the black wood grain effect on red. but nice gun for sure

Theres some Russian wood in the market place, minus the butt stock. The Rusky wood pistol grip is tits and nipples compared to what's available in the US. Made for an iz109.

The Russian stuff is nice and rare...

post-20217-0-72297100-1407811403_thumb.jpg

Nice guns fellas! Digging the Dinzag parts on'em ;)

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

What mullet man has suggested will mount right up without modifications. What the rest are suggesting is getting dinzags fsb/gas tube and lower retainer. It will run about as much as your initial investment in the firearm. If that's the look you want then reconsider a Iz-433 from legion and consider selling the 109.

Personally my choice would be the cheapest and follow Mullet Man's suggestion.

Edited: I have a new '74 brake and bayo lug for sale. Is the same that you'll find on Jugg's build.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

Vepr .308 -  but I want to find find a svd style break. I like the one from Black Horse Arsenal but its a pre order item ATM and have seen some bad reviews for BHA anyone got some leads on something along them lines? 

Not sure this is quite what you're looking for, but it's available and cheaper than BHA - I got one for my V-54, but haven't installed it yet.

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/dph-ak47-tabuk-brake.htm

post-45602-0-74336200-1407817190.jpg

Vepr .308 -  but I want to find find a svd style break. I like the one from Black Horse Arsenal but its a pre order item ATM and have seen some bad reviews for BHA anyone got some leads on something along them lines?

Not sure this is quite what you're looking for, but it's available and cheaper than BHA - I got one for my V-54, but haven't installed it yet.

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/dph-ak47-tabuk-brake.htm

Nodak spud has a tabuk/svd clone as well thread pitch is 14-1. Can a .308 barrel be threaded for this hider? Probably turn the barrel down on a lathe first?

and guido, thats a hardwood I assume? I was going to go Laminated Birch, But if i did go hardwood I'd go classic look like that. Just the non laminated stocks that are red look to much like plastic to me lol I'm a fan of the black wood grain effect on red. but nice gun for sure

It's black walnut with a Brownell's combination Tung oil and polyurethane finish that you simply rub on.

Like swimmin' downstream.

-Guido

yea I have priced out the dinzag set up and the sticker shock was rough lol. Thats why I was just going to put on the stock PG and lower hand guard and rock the sks cover for now, seen a few people go that route and I can dig it. Funds going to other things like HK weld on sights(more for looks than anything) and more CSS mags maybe a second MD-20. and some cobra love. Taking it slow on this one plotting my course I blew a lot of money on the x39 buying anything I thought was cool. TRYING to get what I want the first time on this one so I have $$ left over for the vepr lol. I only paid $500 for this one not sure with the current market I can do a switch up and come out ahead, but Ill look into it cant hurt to check