Sign in to follow this  
dieb4iwake

20rd "Asian" Steel Surplus mags

So the 20rd tanker mags have dried up, but I found 20rd "Asian" (I assume they are Korean) steel surplus mags at CDNN. I have ordered a few and will post a follow up comparing them to the Hungarian Tanker Mags.

These "Asian" mags were on sale this past weekend for $8.99 so I bit the bullet plus I needed some crush washers so why pay for shipping twice!

Dried up? You can find hungarian tanker mags at what-a-country and I believe apex as well. Yet they are a bit more than the $9 you paid.

Dried up? You can find hungarian tanker mags at what-a-country and I believe apex as well. Yet they are a bit more than the $9 you paid.

Dried up, as in no more imports.  The ones popping up there were either bought from defunct businesses or found buried in a warehouse.  I still remember when you could get 3 with a pouch from Centerfire for $19.99. 

Definitely keep us posted on these. 

Yeah let us know how the 'asian' ones stack up against the real deal. I saw them, but didnt wanna risk getting crappy mags.

Dried up, as in no more imports.  The ones popping up there were either bought from defunct businesses or found buried in a warehouse.  I still remember when you could get 3 with a pouch from Centerfire for $19.99. 

Definitely keep us posted on these. 

That's when I snagged mine. I had shit luck with the first batch of Korean AK mags that came in with the grey park finish 5 or so years ago. The feed lip dimensions were wrong and they just wouldn't work in my rifles. I bought a few 30-rounders and a couple 40-rounders, same problems with all. If I hear positive reviews on these 20s I might pick up a few - if nothing else they'd be great candidates for chopping down to 15 rounders to be nearly flush with the pistol grip - maximum capacity while enabling prone fire.

if these are any good i will plan on getting a dozen or so... i learned my lesson with those chinese flatbacks for $10 i waited too long

i cant wait to see if they are

The Korean mags are commercial not surplus and I have not seen one good review of them thats worth a damn

I have to throw a plug in here.  I like some Tapco stuff Intrafuse Saiga handguard, gas pistons, G2 fire control groups (BEST AK trigger pull), etc.  Some stuff is awful :T-6 stack grip, standard AK handguards, standard AK buttstocks.  Now here is the plug.  about 6 years ago, I got some Tapco 30s with the grippy ribs.  They were very tough, reliable mags, and were way lighter than the dozen steel Mil-Surps I have.  I sold the Tapcos when I moved back to Californistan in 2011, as they were not pre1-1-2000 California legal mags like the dozen steel Mil-Surps I have. I still use some Tapco 10s as range mags with my two Saiga factory 10s.  Tapco makes 20 round mags that are light and tough.  I have seen K-Var style frop tests of the Tapco mags and they pass! I have seen them frozen loaded and dropped in the weapon on steel plates, mag first, and they pass.  I have also seen a video of a guy doing Spetnaz style AK push ups with a Tapco mag.  They are VERY under-rated.

A few years ago I bought 8 Tapco smoothside burnt orange mags as disassembled "repair kits." Recently, I repaired (replaced) the bodies on 8 of my more beat up Com-bloc prebans with the Tapco smooth side orange bodies and floor plates,(I tossed the Tapco springs and baseplate locking plates, as comblock springs are better). I used the innards from my comblocks.  I LOVE the Tapco mags.  they weigh about 20-30% less loaded than the steel.

If you like 20's the Tapcos are tough and good, and are only about $8-9 with a lifetime warranty.

NOTE: The mags are a better orange match to bakelite Russians than the picture shows.

Featureless3_zps65365347.jpg

Edited by imarangemaster