WTK: going rate of Kobra AA site?

my tastes are beginning to lean more toward "authentic" rather than "newest whizbang gizmo".

because things have always been newer or flashier than the Kobras, i never really looked at them. therefore, i don't know what price i'm looking at.

I'd be happy buying one used because i understand they are built like tanks and should be good unless someone drove over one. I definitly want the AA option if possible since i have a ton of rechargables already.

What price do used Kobras typically sell for? (No bullshit E-gay prices, please)

Do they typically come with a side mount?

thanks

caspian

my tastes are beginning to lean more toward "authentic" rather than "newest whizbang gizmo".

because things have always been newer or flashier than the Kobras, i never really looked at them. therefore, i don't know what price i'm looking at.

I'd be happy buying one used because i understand they are built like tanks and should be good unless someone drove over one. I definitly want the AA option if possible since i have a ton of rechargables already.

What price do used Kobras typically sell for? (No bullshit E-gay prices, please)

Do they typically come with a side mount?

thanks

caspian

Kobra AA is actually the older model (Gen I), but has allegedly been "improved" while retaining the old control placement. I have been using Kobras of both types in both integrated siderail as well as Weaver mount (my AR) for nearly five years. As far as I have seen, that's the trhree types out there, Gen I & Gen II siderail, and Gen II Weaver. I now own and use four of them regularly. I have paid between $150 and $185 for them over the years. Right now, between $170 and $190 (rounded up) is the state of the market.

Out of the four I use I bought and had two crap out (zero goes bye-bye, never to return) and had to send them back for full orr pro-rata refund for a new one, but i always came back to them. People at my rifle and 3-gun matches don't make jokes anymore, since I am always in the top two slots.

Pretty much what inparidel has said.

There are 3 (that I know of) models of the side mount Kobra:

Generation 1 uses the AA batteries

Generation 2 uses the coin size lithium CR 2325

Generation 1 "improved" uses the AA batteries. This is pretty much the same as the Gen 1, but has had some strengthening done to the mount.

The following is a comparison of the two Kobra sights from Doug Ford (Tantal). He is probably the most knowledgeable guy in the Russian scope/sight business.

Both are produced concurrently, and serve the needs of two types of customers. There is the new generation model, and a new upgrade of the old model, confusing, huh? It can be, so here is my general outlook on them both.

One of the main reasons the Gen 1 (EKP-1S) Kobra sight is still in production even while the Gen 2 (-08) is introduced, is that both have distinct characteristics that, according to the needs of the user, may be of particular importance. Both sights operate in the same general manner, having the same reticle patterns and brightness adjustments, otherwise they differ in many respects.

Advantages and disadvantages depends on the user's demands. For instance, AA operation can be a major advantage, according to your perspective. Therefore, I will simply give you my opinion and let you decide.

The Gen 1 weighs 409 grams while the Gen 2 weighs 433 grams. This is with batteries loaded. The lens of the Gen 2 is slightly raised and the laser emitter housing is slightly lowered to present a slightly better field of view.. However, the Gen 1 Kobra sits closer to the receiver cover of the rifle which allows for a slightly better cheek weld. These are only marginal differences, but may be important to some users.

I think the Gen 1 would be useful to some due to AA operation, many people refuse to use anything else. Of course, it is also cheaper, and the new variant -03M has the strongest mount of all of the Kobra sights, and the -03M is very cosmetically pleasing to my eyes, I think it looks far better and it also comes with a rubber hood (of arguable effectiveness, the so-called "sun shield" is not available with the Gen 2 Kobra of any style).

The rubber hood is attractive to some and a good selling point, if nothing else. it was deleted in the new design by the engineers at the factory, who have told me it was ineffective and although it was thought by some to somehow help the shooter see the target, it was actually designed to keep glint from compromising the shooters position to the enemy..

The Gen 2 has easier to use controls, consisting of right hand mounted switches and all metal positioning turrets. It is slightly easier to flip on the power switch, and although both sights are zeroed in exactly the same manner with the same basic procedures, the Gen 2 is easier to adjust. However, you shouldn't have to adjust it but once, then the sight is set for your rifle.

All of the Kobra models are weather proof, switch assemblies are isolated with rubber gaskets, seams are sealed with RTV, battery compartments use caps with O-ring seals, and the laser exit hole is covered with a glass window. I see no reason why the sight cannot be submerged for brief periods of time, however as with a "weather proof" watch and a "waterproof" watch, I cannot tell you if the sight could be considered waterproof since this is a term measured at a certain depth for a period of time, in a technical sense. Needless to say, the extra design elements and efforts by the company to weatherize the site is highly effective.

As far as electrical operation, the main difference is the power source. The Gen 2 uses a coin cell lithium battery, that is more effective in low temperatures but not as cheap, or easy to find as an AA.

Cosmetically, I tend to like the looks of the Gen 1 (especially the finned -03M variant) but I find the Gen 2 has the better controls.

I favor the -03M, but it is really a decision you must make. I was very excited about the Gen 2 when it came out, because the original -03 AA version has a very weak bracket which can crack. However, the new -03M has eliminated this one thing I didn't like on the older version, so I have to say I find the original type in it's new improved version to be my pick. I would not, however, buy one from another vendor who might not have the latest style. We order monthly in small quantity to assure we get the latest developments.

Tantal

PS I can get you the coin batteries for the generation 2 model (08) for less than $1.

Hope this helps.

wjm