Dillon is fantastic but if you live in the DPRK you are screwed, BUT, gotta defend that lab! Also, if any of you ever get to attend one of Dillons demos in Phoenix you gotta go, that Aero is amazing. He has one mounted with rockets on his chopper that is the grand finale at his shows!

California nuclear lab brings out the big guns

Defense system now includes 6-barrel Gatling machine guns

Thursday, February 2, 2006; Posted: 10:11 p.m. EST (03:11 GMT)

Officer Andrew Graycar stands behind a new Dillon Aero M134D Gatling gun at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

LIVERMORE, California (AP) -- Officials at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory have added a new weapon to their armory: a high-powered machine gun that can fire more than 50 rounds per second.

The weapon, unveiled Thursday, is a six-barrel Gatling gun called the Dillon Aero M134D. An undisclosed number of the guns will be mounted on vehicles and elsewhere at the lab.

"What we want to do is equip our protective force with the capability that will leave no doubt about the outcome," said Linton Brooks, head of the National Nuclear Security Administration.

Lab critics questioned the wisdom of putting such powerful guns at the lab, which is across the street from suburban homes. They say the real problem is that the lab site, which is relatively small at 1 square mile, is not a good place for nuclear materials.

"If you don't have the firepower, that's one kind of security weakness, but if you do have the firepower, you potentially endanger nearby workers and community members because it's such a compact site," said Marylia Kelley, executive director of Tri-Valley CARES, a Livermore-based activist group.

Lab spokeswoman Susan Houghton said the guns add "one more layer of protection."

The 8,000-employee lab is 50 miles east of San Francisco.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Yean, my boss just printed that out from CNN...That's one kick-ass machine!!!

post-2093-1138980326_thumb.jpg

The Dillon M134D Gatling Gun is the finest small caliber, defense suppression weapon available. It is a six barreled, electrically driven machine gun chambered in 7.62mm NATO and fires at a fixed rate of 3000 shots per minute. Gatling Guns typically feed from a 3,000 or 4,400 round magazine. They are capable of long periods of continuous fire without threat or damage to the weapon making them an excellent choice for defensive suppression.

Dillon Guns are reliable. The M134D has system life in excess of one million rounds and an average time between stoppage of 30,000 rounds. In the unlikely event of a stoppage the weapon can be serviced and made operational again in under a minute. The multi barrel design means that each barrel only experiences a 500 round per minute rate of fire. This allows for repeated long bursts of fire and a barrel group life of 100,000 rounds.

Dillon Gatling Guns are in service with the US and Allied Armed Forces. The standard application is as helicopter crew served and fixed forward fire installations. In addition to their more traditional roles, Dillon Gatlings are supplanting M2 50 cal. Heavy Machine Guns and M240's on a number of the US Army's vehicles. Dillon M134s are also in service with the US and British navies in the fleet protection role and Special Operations fire support role.

Dillon M134 Gatling Guns are entirely new production weapons. Dillon guns are sold as complete weapon systems or as component upgrade packages for older GE M134 systems.

Weights

Fixed Forward Fire: 56.9 lbs

Crew Served Gun: 66.1 lbs

Tony mentioned something about a gun like this that one of his buddies had...think it can be hand held? I know I couldn't be too accurate with it, but at 50 rounds a second who needs to be accurate? Is it the recoil that makes it unwieldy? At 70lbs I would think there'd not be much recoil to speak of. I want one!!!

Tony mentioned something about a gun like this that one of his buddies had...think it can be hand held? I know I couldn't be too accurate with it, but at 50 rounds a second who needs to be accurate? Is it the recoil that makes it unwieldy? At 70lbs I would think there'd not be much recoil to speak of. I want one!!!

from what i saw when Dillon fired it from the tripod is that there is NO recoil. it is electric, "Predator" gun. just about the same one that is mounted on an A10 tank killer. In Desert Storm they would fly over and kill tanks, got the name "elephant fart" cause that is exactly the way it sounds. a pre version was used in Vietnam, mounted on the left side of a C130 that would fly around in circles just dumping rounds, I'm sure you heard of Puff the Majic Dragon.

The Predator and T2 gun is probably the M214 "sixpack" 5.56mm version...it is somewhat man-portable, and a lot smaller...but still a total bad mofo!!

I got to see the M134 In action and it's just simply unreal...it is a bullet hose like no other, and literally thorws up WALLS of lead. It's primary role is suppression fire, but the Night Stalkers use it as a primary assault system on the little birds and blackhawks... the infamous "Somali Gun Run" tactic was developed using 3 birds and multiple mini's...saturating an area with upwards of 9,000 rounds in one pass...

Hell yeah. :osama: