My wife's uncle gave me a lyman turret press, a lee 1000pro press and 4 sets of dies and other bits and pieces to reload some pistol round with. Some of the dies are showing some surface rust( probably due to handling during setup by previous owner)

1. How is the best way to get the dies clean?

2. What is the best way to take care of dies?

3. How about the presses?

I also have about 500 9mm rnds that need to be pulled and recharged. Any comments on pullers?

1. Um, BreakFreeCLP and 0000 steel wool for the rust, BreakFreeCLP applied lightly with an old shop rag for both press & die storage. :super:

2. I had to pull apart about 12 .357 Magnum klunkers I had once using the MidwayUSA impact puller, and that was enough for one day. I can't see doing 500. :eek:

Sounds like it might be worth your time/money to get a collet-type bullet puller. It will look a lot like the reloading dies. I believe (not sure on this one) that you only need one "die" and that the collets are interchangeable.

Operation is pretty simple. Loosen the puller. Pull the lever on the press to put the bullet inside the collet. Tighten. Pull the lever to bring the cartridge (minus bullet) back down. Loosen the puller and catch the bullet as it falls out.

I've used one for 308 cartridges that worked pretty well. Mostly it was surplus stuff that I wanted to know more about (bullet shape/weight, powder type, etc.).

Either way, check around on the internet. I'm sure that something is available.

I just ordered a forster type puller fir my press with the 9mm collet. I will let you know how it works. I am still cleaning all the bits and pieces of the dies and press parts. I should have it all working in a couple of weeks.( hard to find the time ontop of work, kids, marital duties, and volunteer fire fighting)