AKX-9 initial photos, thoughts, & impressions

Howdy,

I picked up an AKX-9 pistol from atlantic and I wanted to share some initial impressions and some thoughts and photos with you all.

image_zpsrhhwzbpr.jpg

Front sight block

image_zpsf4flzgc9.jpg

Barrel pin

image_zps85ifds40.jpg

Numbers under dust cover, look to be done by hand, not that it matters but cool it's there:

image_zpsryfmyfgh.jpg

Manufacturer engraving is a little much for me, but could have been less discrete I suppose.

image_zpse9d2ecqn.jpg

Ah yes, the scope rail, could not get my obzor to mount it. Only optic I have for it so that was a bummer:

image_zpsjabu5ss0.jpg

Rear sight leaf:

image_zpsr3qgacbq.jpg

Not numbered, which is ok but would have shown extra effort since they bothered to number the dust cover and bolt carrier. Makes no difference either way:

image_zpsnstralsi.jpg

Most people I see make a big deal and comment on how circular the outside front trunnion or scope rail rivets are when they come pre formed to begin with and the inside is what actually is formed when smashing a rivet. The only other rivers that actually get formed on the outside that matter are the rear trunnion rivets. Have built a few AKs myself, I say they did a good job. All the scope rail rivets from the inside:

image_zpsm21sfsw6.jpg

image_zpsoa7suyk2.jpg

image_zpsguff63ku.jpg

image_zpsgohokv7a.jpg

You an also see they used a retaining plate for quick installation and removal of the trigger group for cleaning. A nice benefit IMO along with the pistol grip nut .....collar? Seems to add extra security to the nut.

Trigger guard is bolt on...meh, but it works just fine and looks alright too. Can't complain, I just like my standard ak trigger guard but then again this isn't your standard ak and would not work with the magwell and mag release anyway. Does seem to be a little week and might end up bending depending on grip style and how it fits the screw, and receiver. Not sure if I bent it at all tightening my pg down.

image_zps8fcpqeiw.jpg

Bolt which is numbered

image_zpsxytosrgj.jpg

Underneath

image_zpsv4p4nwya.jpg

Bolt weight is pinned but loose or free moving to an extent. Doesn't affect function. Pin size compared to the hole is a little weird I guess. Small pin for such a big hole but I'm just nit picking at this point.

image_zpsx8fncrdd.jpg

image_zpss8mfpx5e.jpg

Recoil spring is numbered but they don't match which means it's just from a random ak. Or at least the rod portion of it is. Not sure if they replaced springs. Again, not that it matters. Just pointing it out.a lot of FYI.

image_zpsrd9q4lp4.jpg

Charging handle top of bolt

image_zpszden58so.jpg

And now for the stabilizing blade featuring:

KAK Shockwave tube, CSS pig nose adapter, castle nut:

image_zpsg9vw5u80.jpg

image_zps0qog6s9m.jpg

image_zpszofcpxc2.jpg

image_zpstpc2qwqp.jpg

So far I have put about 100 rounds through it. 50 115g CCI Blazer and 50 124g of some other stuff. Ran good. Trigger is a lot of fun if you can get it going. Really not terribly dirty so far. Accuracy is good so far for off hand (not shouldered) anyway. Not sure what others are expecting out of it but I hit what I aimed at every time using the cheek weld I got from the shockwave blade. It did help a bit.

So that's all I have for now. More to come as I can afford ammo. Thankfully 9mm is cheap. I have used Uzi mags modified for use which means they have the same cut out for the mag release as the colt mags do. But they do not have a LRBHO tab on the follower like the colt mags do so the LRBHO is mag dependant as a last little tidbit before I go.

Enjoy

Kind Regards

• Like 10

Sight leaf is Romanian (P range mark) so they either made a casting mold from Romy leaf, or that's where they sourced some of the random numbered parts such as the recoil spring guide and dust cover.

It's a good looking rig. Wish I could afford one.

I too saw the bolt-on TG and assumed it was going to bend. I had one of those on my S223 and it kept bending under the pistol grip tension. It still bent even after I tempered the part. I got tired of tweaking it and finally got around to putting a standard TG/latch on it the other week.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

Go shoot the hell out of it and report back! Thanks for sharing. How are the magazines?

will do, thanks! Good enough, jammed my thumb trying to stop a cat fight and hasn't been right since so is kinda a pain to load sometimes but there's more than one way to skin a cat.other then that they function 100% so far.

Thanks for taking the time to report.

welcome good sir.

Sight leaf is Romanian (P range mark) so they either made a casting mold from Romy leaf, or that's where they sourced some of the random numbered parts such as the recoil spring guide and dust cover.

It's a good looking rig. Wish I could afford one.

I too saw the bolt-on TG and assumed it was going to bend. I had one of those on my S223 and it kept bending under the pistol grip tension. It still bent even after I tempered the part. I got tired of tweaking it and finally got around to putting a standard TG/latch on it the other week.

thank you, it was kind of one of those perfect storm cinerios where I was able to scrape together enough to afford the pistol version because lord knows I wanted the triangle folding stock rifle version. I concur. I might end up modifying a standard TG to fit one day if the old one ever fails so we'll see. 

Nice did the wood come like that?

Thanks man! The pistol came with black polymer. The wood I have on there is from rusmilitary. So yea, the wood did come like that. Just not on the pistol. I have a stock to but it only accommodates standard type stock trunnions.
  • Like 2

Thanks for the write up. I'm fairly curious to see what size and velocity of projectile it likes. The old hipoint always got better groups than it had any right to, but the 124 grain TC bullets liked to go into the targets sideways at ~100m. I'd like to know if that was a quirk of ammo, twist rate, crummy cheapo guns, or is normal.

• Like 1

Thanks for the write up. I'm fairly curious to see what size and velocity of projectile it likes. The old hipoint always got better groups than it had any right to, but the 124 grain TC bullets liked to go into the targets sideways at ~100m. I'd like to know if that was a quirk of ammo, twist rate, crummy cheapo guns, or is normal.

I'll see what I can do

What is the advantage of a 9mm AK ?  PROS?

Or is it just a collector thing.

Does there need to be an advantage or I have to be a collector to have one?

I have just always wanted one, I'm sure I could come up with advanteges but don't care to think about them. Not something I'm concerned about. I donno

• Like 1

What is the advantage of a 9mm AK ?  PROS?

Or is it just a collector thing.

the pistol cal carbine trend has been growing the past few years, only natural that it would eventually extend to the AK, especially since there are some 9mm AK designs in use in the real world.

9mm is a pretty cheap round to stock and reload for, if I was in that camp this would look very attractive as a fun-times bullet hose

if you have never shot one, they are also just very enjoyable to shoot. I've only dumped a few rounds through a CX4 and an MP5 but both were just silly in how easy they were to keep on target rapid fire at practical ranges, e.g. 25-100m

Edited by mancat
  • Like 3

Main advantages are cheap universal ammo, adequate power, reliable, easy to shoot, shared mags(hopefully). Nice to suppress. basically, it is just fun to shoot, and you get to shoot more.

Since I roll my own, hot 9mm is cheaper to make than it is to buy .22LR. I can plink away with a fairly accurate gun that is more than enough for most of the varmints around here. 22 is still hard to even find. 9mm does take a dive at any run, but it also comes back fast. 

oh. Also the ammo is not very heavy or bulky. I went on a target shooting hike a few days back. It was no big deal to throw in a few extra boxes of 9mm. I probably had 600-800 rounds in the backpack, because - eh why not. That won't happen with 308, etc.

• Like 2

Just about anything centerfire is going to be more reliable than rimfire too. 9mm might be only slightly less common in the world than .22lr. Just about every military in the world has adopted it, so there is always surplus and it could be found on both sides of every war.

For what it's worth, I think any wonder nine with a compact detachable stock would be a decent carbine substitute, and I would prefer that to most of the SBR 9mm options out there, except for optics mounting options.