Been wanting to check out one these pistol matches I keep hearing about, Just never made the effort to go do it.

My old pappy introduced me to firearms thirty eight years ago. I've always enjoyed it but never got involved in any kind of sanctioned competition. In fact, until a couple of months ago I had never been to an actual "Gun Range". I ussualy just set up targets in my back yard, out in the woods and practice at my own pace or with a group of friends and now with my own two boys.

It just so happens that I'm in Phoenix for a few days again. Yesterday I was invited to tag along for a USPSA practice match at Ben Avery shooting facility. All I have with me is my EDC XDs 45. Not the correct tool for the job to say the least. Still I had a great time, didn't score well but it was fun as hell. Good bunch of people and a very fun way to shoot. Next time I'll be bringing a full sized pistol and give myself a fair chance to see how it goes.

I'm not much of a join a club kind of guy but I'll be looking up the local USPSA group when I get home.

• Like 3

You may be right but a mans got to know his limitation.

I'll start in production class and see how I do. From what I saw at the practice match I know I can compete in that group.

I'm anxious to get involved in this new to me aspect of the sport.

• Like 2

I don't care much about scores. I just try to get more accurate and have fun.
I'm too old to run around like a 20 year old anyway, so I may jog a little if I have too.
I figure if I have to run that fast to get to my next target, I'll just drive.

Right now, I'm just going to practice and train. I may do matches later.

Edited by read_the_wall
  • Like 3

You may be right but a mans got to know his limitation.

I'll start in production class and see how I do. From what I saw at the practice match I know I can compete in that group.

I'm anxious to get involved in this new to me aspect of the sport.

It isn't about limitations or winning. For me anyway. It's about running the gear I want to run as best I can in the most interesting course I am likely to access. The competition comes the second time. Pick a few people in your class who were just a bit faster than you. You win for the day if you outrun them. Repeat.

• Like 2