I have a Romanian AK74 with a Fab Def stock and what might be UTG quad rails.  Now I do not like the quad rails.  Its heavy and transfers heat far to much. I am looking for a durable, economical  and solid hand guard set that can have a red dot on it.  Any suggestions?  Now I know there are a ton of them out there, but I want to hear from folks who have them, used them, and can offer solid testimonials on them  I would like to keep it under 50 if possible.. Im open to all comers, Tapco, Arsenal, Magpul ect...

You want to mount a red dot on your handguard, but you don't want to spend more than $50? That's not a good idea, and here's why. You find a rail, you spend your $50 on it, mount your optic, and you might get away with it for range use. Maybe. Or, you mount your optic, rail fails to securely hold optic, optic constantly loses zero, now you've got a $50 paper weight. You then realize it might've been better to spend a bit extra for an Ultimak or Midwest, etc., and end up with one of those in the end. Now, instead of the price of the quality rail alone, you're in for the $50 paper weight, as well as the other couple of Franklin's for the new rail. When shopping for gun parts, I suggest living by this: Buy once, cry once (99% of the time).

PS: I have an Ultimak ACRII tri-rail on my Saiga .308, and it is very good quality. Ultimak makes nice stuff.

I dont mind going higher in price.  I don't want a big honking metal quad rail.  Can i run the ultimak along with a magpul hand guard?  I am looking for function and weight reduction.  Worst case scenario i can run the red dot off my scope side rail.  I have a Fab Def side folder with cheek riser.

I would say one of these is your best bet:

M2-BChiComKVFS-Binst.jpg

It's an Ultimak gas tube rail. Pretty much frees up your entire lower handguard, it's quite minimalistic, and it doesn't break the bank at ~$100.00 (I think you'd also need the shims, +~$15.00, but I'm not positive. Read up.).

http://ultimak.com/buyak.htm

I can't speak from experience on this particular rail, though. Only the fact that I own an Ultimak product, and it's good quality.

Edited by forsaken352
  • Like 1

I think I will save my pennies and go that route. For now I will buy some standard russian style forward hand guards and just use them till I get the Ultimak.  I can always use my side scope mount and get the job done that way till then.  Thanks guys.