Hey guys:

Possible "stupid" question here. I'm going to clean a rifle I must have forgotten to clean. I have several gun cleaning products: Hoppes #9, Hoppes copper remover bore cleaner, C.L.P.,  and Rem oil. 

It's been A LONG time since I've had to clean a rifle. I was wondering in what order should these cleaners be used. I forgot if there is an order to using them or if even all of them need to be used. 

Does the order matter?

I'll be cleaning a Savage 10 FCP-K in .308. I say above I must have simply forgotten to clean it because I noticed the muzzle brake baffles have a slight funky blue-green color on them from copper I suppose. You have to tilt it in the light just right. 

Can't believe it. I never neglect my guns. I hope the bore is OK. Everything should be OK and it just needs to be thoroughly cleaned because I haven't fired it since I sighted it in. Even then, I was cleaning the barrel at least after every ten rounds (maybe every five rounds) with a bore guide.  

I assume firing it again before cleaning it would do harm. 

Anyway ... I bought a Tipton gun vise and I'm ready to start pushing patches down the barrel. 

Thanks. 

Edited by Squeaky

I always run patches of Hoppes #9 first. When I'm satisfied with the cleanliness of the bore I then run a dry patch to mop up the excess Hoppes. I then run a patch with a very light coat of oil.

I don't mess with any other variants of Hoppes either. #9 only for me.

If the gun isn't crazy fouled up I use Ballistol only.

I always add several drops of hoppes9 directly into the chamber and barrel and let it creep all the way through on its own. I then take a nylon bore brush to the chamber and work it well. Then I run a snake through at least three times. Then I add a few drops of mobile 1 to the chamber and barrel and run a snake through again. Usually everything is nice and shiny after that.