Well they make the FIELD gauge for a reason, wish Rob had one to check that but it is being gone over in detail supposedly now.

As has been pointed out the failure of the GO test is much worse than the NO-GO in particular with CIP gauges.

That it passed before failing is serious as that tells us the condition is in progress.

Seriously how many people check head space? Even with just a round and tape?

Not many even know what it is or means relatively.

Excessive HS should though have other symptoms, case swelling, loss of accuracy, misfires, etc that have not been reported so I will save the grenade conclusion for when the final results are known. Yeah there does seem to be a real problem with that trunnion and still say the misfit rivet is the early warning sign.

Excessive HS should though have other symptoms,

Just to be clear, you're saying that closing the bolt on a no-go gauge is not a problem because he didn't report every sign of excessive headspace?

Your determined defense of this dangerously flawed rifle is baffling.  Is it because you bought one and you feel personally insulted?  Do you own stock in Century?

Excessive HS should though have other symptoms,

Just to be clear, you're saying that closing the bolt on a no-go gauge is not a problem because he didn't report every sign of excessive headspace?

Your determined defense of this dangerously flawed rifle is baffling.  Is it because you bought one and you feel personally insulted?  Do you own stock in Century?

Im not defending a problem Im just not running around like a little girl screaming DOOM and diving into a foxhole because it failed a CIP NO-GO, I have absolutely seen good rifles fail the very same test with CIP and pass on SAAMI or is pointing that out a determined defense?

AGAIN this is why Field gauges exist.

Assume nothing ask questions reason out everything. Not sure why that is so unpopular now.

And no I own nothing made by CAI, currently all my AKs are Russian and I know how long it took them to get it right.

Edited by Rhodes1968

I'm not defending Century but I've spent enough time over on AKfiles to see a lot of builders have otherwise untouched original barrel kits that do close on a No-Go gauge. Some OTOH won't even close on a Go - Romanians are notorious for headspacing on the tight side.

If the rifle went from passing to failing on the No-Go in 5k rounds, that is a pretty big deal.

For anecdotal data... My Saiga .223 will close on a .223 No-Go gauge (I don't have a 5.56 MAX) and has seen probably somewhere around 5k rounds. But I never had a gauge to check with up until that point, so it may have been that way to begin with. Several guys on AKfiles report that the S223 has been all over the place on initial headspace. It will pass GO and will not chamber No-Go with a spare 5.45 bolt, which I've tried in it, and can see no discernable difference in rifle behavior or ejected casings, so.. Dunno.

When I built my recent 5.56 AK-74 build, I chose to have it close tightly on a Go, and so far that seems to be working well for accuracy. But since it has a US-made nitride barrel, I will keep an eye on it. I was under the impression that the RAS47 used a 4150 nitride barrel, and that would not be a good sign if it lost headspace that quickly, assuming that all other elements held up properly.

My guess is that they will find the locking surfaces wore down over time, and the barrel is not at fault. They probably should have taken lug dimensions before starting.

I think the barrel is moving forward, thoughts?

15:05

even with a cast trunnion, IMO it would be nearly impossible for the barrel to move forward - assuming that the pin channel is properly drilled, with a proper interference fit of barrel journal and pin. if these parts all fit together properly, there is nowhere for the metal to actually go to allow it to deform or move.

Rob knows AKs well enough that he would likely spot an improperly drilled pin immediately, but you never know. they could have also done something stupid like knurl an improperly fitting barrel pin.

I remember there was a guy on the files that decided that his PSL build didn't need a solid pin and it could be drilled hollow - the barrel pin obviously being an ideal place to shave off unneeded grams of weight. Pin collapsed on him at the range and PSL went KB

Edited by mancat

I'm not defending Century but I've spent enough time over on AKfiles to see a lot of builders have otherwise untouched original barrel kits that do close on a No-Go gauge. Some OTOH won't even close on a Go - Romanians are notorious for headspacing on the tight side.

If the rifle went from passing to failing on the No-Go in 5k rounds, that is a pretty big deal.

For anecdotal data... My Saiga .223 will close on a .223 No-Go gauge (I don't have a 5.56 MAX) and has seen probably somewhere around 5k rounds. But I never had a gauge to check with up until that point, so it may have been that way to begin with. Several guys on AKfiles report that the S223 has been all over the place on initial headspace. It will pass GO and will not chamber No-Go with a spare 5.45 bolt, which I've tried in it, and can see no discernable difference in rifle behavior or ejected casings, so.. Dunno.

When I built my recent 5.56 AK-74 build, I chose to have it close tightly on a Go, and so far that seems to be working well for accuracy. But since it has a US-made nitride barrel, I will keep an eye on it. I was under the impression that the RAS47 used a 4150 nitride barrel, and that would not be a good sign if it lost headspace that quickly, assuming that all other elements held up properly.

My guess is that they will find the locking surfaces wore down over time, and the barrel is not at fault. They probably should have taken lug dimensions before starting.

The matter of the barrel was brought out as the gas block appears to have moved forward. We looked at the pins as close as the vid allows and it seems the GB pins did not grab the barrel and that was thought to the issue until the HS matter popped up. Off the cuff speculation is all.

I dont know Rob, never bought anything he ever built so I just dont accept anything he says without some kind of confirmation which I hope is forthcoming.

Still if CIA wishes to correct the issues it is doable as the Ruskies had far greater problems when they began building stamped rcvrs.

Is it possible on a $500 price point? 

Dont know but I see that as the major problem causing everything else.

Anyway the C39 V2 is doing ok just wish they used the same barrels as the RAS unless that has changed. Maybe one day maybe not.

• 5 months later...

I paid $625 at Atlantic at the end of March.  Now WASRs are selling for $759.  Over 20% increase in 6 months.  What will they be selling for come January?

Right now I'm really regretting not picking up a Draco at $399.

• Like 1

I paid $625 at Atlantic at the end of March.  Now WASRs are selling for $759.  Over 20% increase in 6 months.  What will they be selling for come January?

Right now I'm really regretting not picking up a Draco at $399.

You and me both.  I was just browsing a week or two ago.  Wanting to grab one before things get crazy and it's not looking good for me.

PS.  And I paid sub $500 for the contractor WASR at the beginning of the year.

Edited by Pyzik