How to tell EG Weiger mags from Romanian SAR3 mags...

the original post got eaten by an IPS error, or somthing to that effect. Here's how to tell:

weigervssar3nk9.jpg

This is kinda self explanitory. The East German Weiger mags are Preban- having been made by a country that ceased to exist before the ban was enacted. The SAR 3 mags are Romanian made copies, with a few small differences. You can tell the Weigers are more carefully made, the machining is more precise and all the milled corners are sharp, not rounded. The key identfiers to tell the mags apart are:

1. Weigers have concave buttons on the floorplate, the Romy's have flat buttons.

2. The reinforcing ribs on the sides run to within 1/8" of the floorplate on the Weigers, more like 1/2" on the SAR mags.

3. The front lip of the SAR mags are lower than other AK mags, Weigers are of a more standard height.*

4. The rib running along the back of the Weiger mag ends in a rounded corner, on the SAR it's a 45' corner.

*As far as Siaga's go, the lower front lip on the mag is an advantage. I've seen these mags fit right into a saiga .223, provided you file down the rear of the magwell above the rear mag catch just a little bit (less than 1mm).

That being said, they are both well made steel mags for Ak's produced by countries that know how to make a good magazine. I'd recomend the SAR-3 mags to anyone willing to add a bullet guide to their rifle. I belive the Surefire metal .223 mags are made from EG weigers.

the original post got eaten by an IPS error, or somthing to that effect. Here's how to tell:

imageshacknono.jpg

Seems like a lot of eatin' goin' on today.

Imageshack sure has gotten sensitive lately.