I got the load ALL SET...

Now that my reloading equipment is at my place, I have been working on reloading for my .308 Savage F/TR, among other calibers... I got a load that is the CATS ASS out of this rifle!!!

I am running a 168 gr. Hornady BTHP Match in front of 45 grains of IMR 4064, with CCI Benchrest Lg. Rifle primers. seating the bullet to give me a C.O.L. of 2.85".

This is a slightly compressed load, as the powder is almost to the top of the casing... but JUST not quite...

There doesnt seem to be any pressure issues with the 5 rounds I tested... but I tell ya what... there would be an issue if you were on the RECEIVING END of them!!!!

This is a FIVE ROUND GROUP!!!! ( it looks like 4, but it is truly 5!! ) at 100 yards.

I thought I would share this load with yall... Whether it works for you would depend on YOUR rifle... but one never knows till one tries!!

I liked it so much I went home and loaded up 50 more of them!! :up::lol::up:

group1.jpg

group2.jpg

I could EASILY hide all 5 rounds under a dime!!! That's good enough accuracy for me... If I were to shoot chucks with that load... I like the fact I could ponder WHICH EYE to shoot through! ROFL!!! :lol::up:

:smoke:

Very Nice, that is the kind of group I expect out of a "sniper" rifle.

I am also a big fan of the 168 gr. Hornady BTHP Match and the Sierra 168 gr. BTIHP. My pet load uses once fired Lake City NM Brass.

UTAH, Sorry I didnt tell you the rest... I was at work when I answered earlier and was in a hurry...

I fired pretty much as quickly as I could load another in the rifle, and get on target and breathe, and squeeze...

It is a bolt gun... a Single shot target rifle.

I do not know the muzzle velocity... although the load data claims it should be somewhere around 2750-2775 FPS ( it claims 2760... so... ) :up:

Utah, one thing to keep in mind is that the F/TR is a target rifle with a 1" heavy barrel, 30" long. It is not as prone to heat and warp like a thinner barrel would be...

Just something to keep in mind... again, mine loves that load... other .308's may not. Or not quite as much... LOL

Utah, one thing to keep in mind is that the F/TR is a target rifle with a 1" heavy barrel, 30" long. It is not as prone to heat and warp like a thinner barrel would be...

Just something to keep in mind... again, mine loves that load... other .308's may not. Or not quite as much... LOL

I didn't realize it had a bull barrel, my M1A match or FAL might not like that. good info. I have been reloading for my galil and haven't gotten to my 308's yet. I was going to start trying to figure out a formula that the springfield likes. guess I better start looking.

thanks again.

Yours MIGHT like it... load up 5 or 10 and shoot some groups... See how it shoots groups with it... They may like it better with 2 or 3 grains LESS powder even... You can tailor any load to your rifle to get it to shoot a hell-a-blazes!!!

I also load 175 grain Sierra BTHP match bullets with 43 grains of IMR 4064 and can get groups ALMOST as good as the Hornady ones... Try that one too! I set the COL to the same 2.85"

That's also something to know... how long is your throat... you may need to load your bullets to a different COL for best results...

Oh... you may also want to try some of those same bullets with a VARGET powder charge instead... Might do the trick for you as well... :up: