Photo
- - - - -

Gift Ideas Needed for 6-Year Old

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 GunFun

GunFun

Apparently, guy who has made way too many posts.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

That's pretty cool. I enjoy those rifles, but on a few I've handled, the front sight was basically floating. On my cousin's one it could move around about 1/16" without even putting finger pressure on it.

That's not saying to scrap them, or avoid them, just saying that if you get one, plan on doing something about those shoddy sights.

#32 Rhodes1968

Rhodes1968

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:37 PM

I know people think this is trivial but when you are facing a winter where there will be days and even weeks where going outside is akin to entering a death match with nature well... one needs useful indoor distractions as keeping that sat antenna working in a blizzard is just not happening and the power is likely out anyway...

Maybe you should buy him a home in Florida. haha.gif

Been there done that...

170911-hurricane-irma-mc-752_2_bbba781eb

• DaveM likes this
Had the Japanese got as far as India, Gandhi's theories of "passive resistance" would have floated down the Ganges River with his bayoneted, beheaded carcass. -- Mike Vanderboegh.

#33 HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter

Payin' the fiddler...

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:35 PM

Good discussion here gentleman.  Apologies for not getting back sooner.  I'm using the single parent excuse plus it's hockey season.  After some research here's what I ended up with...

Attached File  515hhw9ms4L._SL1000_.jpg   47.52KB   0 downloads

https://www.amazon.c...crossman m4-177

At the $45 plus free shipping I consider it a steal.  I'm counting on the collapsible stock allowing us both to use it.  I also find some hidden value in the fact that at his age he probably won't be able to pump it by himself.  It should allow us both enough trigger time to introduce basic gun safety and marksmanship.   

I had the AR-15 version back in the late 80's and I had a blast with that thing.  At that price it'll allow Santa to set him up with some eyewear, pellets, scope, and steel targets.  It all adds up to come quality father/son time.  Possibly next year I'll be asking what 10/22 setup should we go with.  I appreciate all the input.

Yup, looks like a good bonus stocking stuffer!  Thanks brother!

• Netpackrat, Rhodes1968, GunFun and 1 other like this

"Alaskans are hard-living, fast-drinking, and cheap-loving."  - Mr. Whitekeys

#34 G O B

G O B

Grumpy Old Bastard

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,853 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:02 AM

Good choice!  I like that it is hard to cock, just like a Red Rider. Gives you a chance to work with the child and develop .good and safe habits. It also helps marksmanship, due to making each shot more 'precious'. Learn to shoot single shot FIRST, then semi or full auto only after mastery of safety and marksmanship.

• Rhodes1968 and HighPlainsDrifter like this

Freelance Philosopher and Professor Emeritus, School of Hard Knocks and Sharp Blows to the Head

Be yourself, for if you are NOT yourself, then who the hell are you?

"so is the soap they use to brainwash you environmentally safe?" (Bucky Katt)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users