Sign in to follow this  
Capt Nemo

Coleman Fuel Shortage?

Local retailers seem to be having problems getting Coleman Fuel/white gas.  One I talked to said that it's been on order for the last 3 months.

How are supplies in your area?

I had not really noticed.. I want to say there are pallets of it in the hurricane prep area of HD and walmart.. I don't really look for it because I use Propane for pretty much everything..

Well, a gallon of white gas will do the same as 4 1/2 propane cylinders, plus it stores well.  I ran some that was forgotten for 40 years, and it still ran perfect.  Good for prepping! 

I actually looked this up some time ago and just pulled the links up again to be sure.. It is not that big a difference, propane is 80% the BTUs of gasoline per gallon, Coleman fuel is basically gasoline with no additives... A 20# tank of propane is 4.7 gallons of propane... So each 20# bottle is basically 3.76 gallons of gasoline equivalent.. So not really a big deal either way.

I have a forklift so I have the big 47# bottles, it is illegal to hook them to any household equipment, but after a hurricane who is going to stop me? Honestly who would ever be around to stop me?

Just found my cook stove in the shed with a gallon of white.

Put it there 20 years ago. Stove is rusty but gas look like it is good.

White gas is mainly naptha.  The old gas I had stunk a bit in the heater, but no more than I remembered it.  The newer stuff stinks quite a bit less.

I haven't look recently.  Last time i used it i used it as a starter to burn garbage.  I was a teen and wow was that a boom and i had garbage 40 plus feet in the air from a 55gal steel drum.  Thats what i get for splashing some on and walking the can 50ft away before i lit a match and tossed it in.