Review: New Scope Mount

Alright, so I finally quit playing around and ordered the scope mount. It got here early this week. The model I ended up ordering was the BP-02 from Tantal. http://www.tantal.guns.ru/bstmounts.html It cost me a few cents shy of $50 shipped, and arived in 3-4 days. I'd also like to sing the praises of Doug Ford and the rest of his team. They answered all of my email promptly, and were very helpful. The one thing I might do differently in the future is make phone calls to ask questions instead of sending email. I had a problem with the mount once it was on the rifle, and I'm not sure I was able to adequately communicate the circumstances over the internet.

Next up, the scope that I bought.... last month some time: doesn't want to be linked to... Ok, so we do it differently. It was from CDNN/Target Sports. http://www.targetsportsinc.com It's a fixed 10 power with a 42mm objective, 30mm body, and target turrets. The flip up lens covers and medium height rings it came with were a nice touch also. Total price shipped was a few cents shy of $50. This one took about a week to get here, but I'm not complaining. Again, I would like to sing the praises of CDNN. It was very easy to get ahold of someone on the phone and all of my questions were answered quickly and professionally. A tip: it helps greatly to have the item number(s) of the product(s) you wish to inquire about, when you call.

Ok, so on to the actual review.

I love the scope mount. It locks positively and the lever sits flush with the bottom of the mount. It also positions the weaver rail very close to the center of the bore (if not sightly past), and very low to the receiver cover. Now for the bad news: I had to use all of my elevation adjustment (in the 'up' direction of course) to get the bullets to strike 8.5" low at 100 yards. That was disappointing. I'm not sure entirely what the problem was. It could be the rings. It could be the rail on the rifle. I could be the mount. I don't know. Either way, the line of the optic did not intersect the line of the bore. To top it off, the screws holding the weaver rail to the top of the mount were not tight enough to resist the recoil of 7 South African 308s. So, the mount was solid, but the rail on the top was wobbling side to side.

I consulted my gunsmith about these problems and his suggestions worked. I had already figured that Blue Loctite on the loose screws would solve that. My gunsmith concurred. As for the problem of "shooting low", he gave me three very thin sticky-paper shims to put in the bottom of the rear ring. I had to use all three of them, but it worked. Now instead of using "all" of my elevation to get on target, I only had to use "most" of it. The Loctite worked as well.

All together, for a little bit less than $100, it's not a bad package. It would have been nice if it required no tinkering, but sadly, that happens. The only real problem now is that it's not possible to get a good cheek-weld. That should be fixed by getting a lace-on leather cheek-piece.... or lower rings. Either way, thumbs up for both the scope and the mount :up::up:

Of course, that involves it's own problems, but I'm sure I'll figure out something later. Just going to enjoy shooting it for now. Thanks for listening.

You will not be the first, and will not be the last person that has had to shim rings to get proper adjustments on the optics. I used thin slices of soda cans inside my rings. I never thought about sticky paper... but I dont see why it couldnt work... although I would be worried about degradation over time, and a wandering zero at THAT point... but that would probably be far enough away in time to be not worried about at all...

Enjoy the shooting!!! Lets see some groups!!! :up:

:smoke:

The screws on the mount are meant to stay tight. It would be nice to have a mount that was adjustable for windage and elevation, but the only one I've seen is incredibly expensive. So, short answer: No, I didn't have to adjust the mount.

As far as the shims go, I'm assuming that I won't have too many problems with them. Apparently they were the same ones that Millet packages with all of their scope rings. My gunsmith gave them to me, and I trust him. I do see your point about possible degredation though. I'll have to watch out for that.

As far as groups go, I'll have to wait a bit. I will try to post something here when I get them though.

Oh, just an oppinion call while I'm at it:

Should I remove the rear sight base (grind it down completely) so I can use lower scope rings? Or leave the possibility of (tradtional) iron sights in my furute?

I already removed the front sight (to make room for an AK 74 style AR-10 brake) and the rear sight leaf. I'm thinking there are enough front sight bases out there that I could get one to replace it in the future, but the rear sight could be problematic. I geuss there's always Tony's receiver cover G3-type rear sight...

In order to adjust it as you're talking about, I would have to remove the guide pins and redrill the holes for them. I've seen the page that you're referring to, but don't have the address.

In fact, I have experimented with this on a different scope mount. It was one of the "siaga specific" mounts that had integral one inch rings. I believe I posted regarding my experience about it in the "Saiga Weapons" section. I was trying to put that mount on an SAR-2, but it ended up being really far off, even though it was essentially center-line on both of my saigas (308 & 223).

I'm just going to enjoy shooting it for now, and worry about that stuff later. It should be nice enough out that I can make it to the range tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to get some groups worthy of posting ;).