I just picked this baby up three weeks ago. I already installed a Black Jack Buffer, a Limb Saver recoil pad, an Allen rifle stock 9 rd bullet holder, Russian 8x42BA scope, and a quick detachable barrel mounted bipod.

Now I just need to get to a gun range so I can zero the scope.

Please let me know what you think. :killer:

post-2873-1141991153.jpg

post-2873-1141991180.jpg

I think the barrel is a bad place to mount a bipod. Other than that: good luck getting the scope to zero, and kudos on the recoil pad.

I appologize, just feeling a little snippy today. Either way, it's not your fault. The gun does look nice. You may not end up being able to center the top chevron of the reticule where your bullets are hitting. Be aware of that. If it ends up being the case, use one of the vertical lines on the left side instead. My particular favorite is the long one in the middle of the row (to the left of the chevrons).

If you've got an extra $20 +/-, you might consider a "Bear Tooth" comb riser. I got mine at Gander mountain. It consists of a rubber sleeve with a neoprene covering that slips over the stock. Once it's in place, there are foam inserts that you put underneath the sleeve (on the top of the stock, of course) to raise the comb height. It might take two or three of the spacers, bt you should be able to get your eye lined up with the scope.

My other suggestion would be a nice sling. Maybe one of the military replica slings? They are kind of strange looking. 1 1/4" wide leather. two sets of holes running all over it. Hooks. You used to see them on a lot of P 14's and 03 Springfields. Even M 14s. Either way, they can be very useful. That shouldn't cost much more than $20 either. Probably more like $15.

So, yeah....

Anyway, hope that helps. BTW: Welcome to the forum.

Other than that: good luck getting the scope to zero

You may not end up being able to center the top chevron of the reticule where your bullets are hitting. Be aware of that. If it ends up being the case, use one of the vertical lines on the left side instead. My particular favorite is the long one in the middle of the row (to the left of the chevrons).

Tokageko,

Why do you say the 8x42 scope won't zero at the chevron? I'm curious because I would like to put a POSP scope on my .308.

The gas cylinder latch takes a little getting used too. There is a little tension pushing against the latch if the gas cylinder is not seated properly at the gasblock. Usually takes me 2 tryies. First couple of times more like 6 or 7 and much %$#%$#@^*%*$!!

Tfe slots on a standard AK tool can (the buthole type) work great as a cheater. A little extra leverage helps.

G O B

Eric: Appologies for my late reply. I'm speaking from personal experience with a 6x42 POSP used on my saiga 308, 223, and an SAR2 (5.45x39 AK 74). On all of these rifles, I ran out of windage adjustment before getting the chevrons to center at 100 yards. On the 308, it cam the closest, but I had to go a click or two beyond what was marked on the turret. I have a feeling that at 200 yards it may not be as much of a problem. The orientation of the scope in relation to the bore may allow it to zero perfectly at longer ranges. Of course, it could also be even further off at longer ranges. I haven't been able to test at a range where there was more than 125 yards to shoot over. It may also be an isolated incidence with my scope and rifle. I hope this helps, but I am willing to answer any further questions you have.

Sniper, make sure the tab at the back rear of the gas tube is fully seated into the notch in the trunion (the block of metal the barrel and gas tube join with at the receiver). The spring on the back of the gas tube can interfere and prevent it from dropping in. Look where the latch rotates into place to lock down the gas tube. If the latch cam is not just barely on top of the end of the gas tube then the gas tube isn't sitting properly. Don't force the latch lever into place. Once the gas tube is properly installed the lever will operate fairly smoothly. It may help to trial fit the gas tube without the spring on the back to simplify the process and get an idea of how it all drops in. Then again, maybe you just have a stiff latch. The one on my .223 is real pain. Oh, and some Saigas don't have the spring at the back of the gas tube. Still make sure the tube is fully seated before forcing the latch down.

I just picked this baby up three weeks ago. I already installed a Black Jack Buffer, a Limb Saver recoil pad, an Allen rifle stock 9 rd bullet holder, Russian 8x42BA scope, and a quick detachable barrel mounted bipod.

looks awesome !! what size is the Limb saver slip-on recoil pad ? after seen this I want one for my Saiga 308...Excellent looks...not very expensive !!! awesome

looks awesome !! what size is the Limb saver slip-on recoil pad ? after seen this I want one for my Saiga 308...Excellent looks...not very expensive !!! awesome

Its a large 5 1/4 X 1 3/4 Limbsaver click here