Changing buttstock on unconverted .223

I recently bought a Saiga .223 and didn't realize when I first baught it that it would require converting to change the buttstock.

"High_Cap" on this forum sells 30 round mags for uncoverted guns.

I want to change the buttstock WITHOUT coverting (I don't trust myself to do the conversion, and since the gun was only $199 itself, I don't want to drop $300 paying someone to covert it).

Does anyone think this is posible?

Has anyone done this?

Thanks...

There are a few people makeing pistol grip stocks for unconverted saigas. I'm not sure about the legality without adhering to the parts count rule.

I would recomend one that ACE makes, they are pretty expensive, but the quality is verry good. You can get one from blackjackbuffers.com

Would any 'normal' AK stock fit on it?

I was thinking that I could just get a buttstock that is "flatter" or "straiter" underneith and just just somehow attach a pistol grip to that just behind the trigger.

Posted by jtoddellis

"There are a few people makeing pistol grip stocks for unconverted saigas. I'm not sure about the legality without adhering to the parts count rule."

What do you mean? It might be Illegal?

Yeah, once you add the hi cap mag or pistol grip you have to have it comply with 922r and not have more than 10 imported parts on it as defined by the BAFTE.

I make and sell drop in skeleton pistol grip stocks once in a while, but to make them legal takes some extra parts. I think if you use US made stock and grip and US mags it makes the 10 or less parts rule. Its better to convert using a US made trigger group or other internal parts like the piston that way you don't have to worry about what mags you have.

Yeah, once you add the hi cap mag or pistol grip you have to have it comply with 922r and not have more than 10 imported parts on it as defined by the BAFTE.

I make and sell drop in skeleton pistol grip stocks once in a while, but to make them legal takes some extra parts. I think if you use US made stock and grip and US mags it makes the 10 or less parts rule. Its better to convert using a US made trigger group or other internal parts like the piston that way you don't have to worry about what mags you have.

The pistol grip does not count because the saigas didnt have it when it was imported. Except if you put a none US pistol grip on it, It counts against your count. To make a Saiga 922r compliant without doing the conversion is rather difficult. The US made magazines help a lot because they count a 3 parts but make sure you only use them. The other parts you can change are the foregrip, Gas piston, and stock So as you can see rather difficult to get the parts count without doing a conversion. The trigger group counts as 3 parts by itself so that helps a lot. The conversion is rather easy and can be done in an afternoon. Read the tutorials on this site. It looks complicated at first but once you get going its easy.

Convert. Simple to do once you see it done, you will need another gun to do it to. And another. And another. :wacko:

You can still use the factory mags after the conversion. If you want high capacity, you can put pretty much any 5.45x39 or .223 mag in it - with a cheap $10 bullet guide & minor mag or gun mods. Lots o' options. I like the 5.45x39 mags because they're cheap. Others prefer the .223 mags because of less mods.

If you go with the 5.45 mags there are some alterations to the follower to make them more relyable. Not sure where I have seen them but any search engine and some time should point you there. Not sure if anyone has the .223 mags(there has been some discussion on the guns forums that some one bought up hundreds to thousands of them from all of the distributors for some reason) but the wegner(sar-3) mags do come with a good rep.

• 6 months later...

Im new here but I will submit what I learned from the AK forums on this.

My understanding is that a one piece drag stock does not constitute a pistol grip. This is why so many (none 922 compliant) AKs came imported to us with drag type stocks during the ban.

I would imagine that this is why Saigas are being currently imported with such a stock and low cap mag combo.

I do not like the wide pistol grip on the Saiga drag stock but I do know that there are third party stocks that would be much better on a Saiga as the pistol grip is actually usable as such.

As always though, it is best to contact the BATFE yourself just to cover your booty.