Silencer & Cryo treatment

I've been bitten by the bug, and I'm looking hard at setting up a saiganov, but a few questions.

This rifle will be setup as a DMR with a goal of 600 yards (i want to say 800 at the extreme but I think that may be asking too much?)

I come to accept the fact that a SA58 is out of my price range. One thing that gives the SA58 its premium over the STG58 is the badger barrel, which is cryo treated. I believe that a tuned S308 can be very accurate, what are your opinions on having its barrel cryo treated to make sure that accuracy is consistent after the barrel starts warming up?

I'm also tempted to put a Can on this Saiga, as was originally my plan for the SA58. Since the can would add extra length, I think that the barrel should be shortened from 22" down to 19" (Save some length, but not AS much performance loss as the 16"). I know that a Can is not as effective on a semi-auto as apposed to a bolt action, but so be it. Can anyone think of usage issues of installing a silencer on a S308 as apposed to a FAL?

(i.e. the Fals better because the adjustable gas is more useful with a suppresor, the Saigas worse because_____)

Thanks for any useful info on cryo treatment, adding a suppresor, or reducing bbl length 22" to 19"

I wouldn't say the Saiga has a lack of scope mount options, you can mount a lot of different scopes to the side rail. As for the suppressor, to truely be effective, you'd have to shoot subsonic ammo; which will limit range/accuracy.

My "Not So Humble" oppinion: Cyro-treating a saiga barrel is useless (as in: not providing any benefit). They are hammer forged, and as such have very little (if any) internal stresses to be relieved in the first place. The other benefit of cryo treatment is a mute point here also, being that treated parts wear better. It's a chrome lined barrel. It's already incredibly "wear resistant".

My "Humble" oppinion: 600 yards isn't too much to ask. With good ammo, quality optics, and a decent trigger, I'm thinking you should expect at least 1 MOE (Minute Of Enemy) performance. ;) What I mean is, you may not be shooting out eyeballs, but you'll probably be able to keep your bullets in the chest area.

My "Wild" geuss: A threaded silencer on a 20" barrel will definately eliminate muzzle flash/blast, but your bullets will remain supersonic. As I've heard it, without the corresponding muzzle blast the sonic boom from a passing bullet is essentially non-directional.

Good luck on your project! :)

Reading this forum has led me to believe that a 22" bbl isnt as stiff as a 16" bbl leading to slightly less accuracy (more important at range than up close)

Thats why I considered cryo treatment

Silencers are also supposed to help bbl harmonics

(i just want to keep the system accuracte beyond the first 5 shots (when it heats up))

No offense to our esteemed members, but most of what you'll read here is not exactly expert testimony.

As far as the 16" S308s go, yes, they are "stiffer". This is because the barrel is stepped, being thicker behind the gasblock than in front of it. Since there's less barrel in front of the gas block on the 16" S308, more of the barrel is larger in diameter.

I'd like to point out though, that comparing measurments behind the front sights of a couple of different rifles, the 22" S308 is by no means a "lite-weight". The measurement on mine, behind the front site was .793". By way of contrast, the barrel on my father's M14, measured at the same place was .682". Then, about the same on a P14 Enfield. It's approximately a 10th of an inch larger in diameter than either of two other wonderfully accurate rifles which could be shot comfortably out to 600 yards. In my reading I've not come across anything stating that cryonic treatment does anything to make a barrel stiffer. That's not to say it's not possible; I just haven't seen anything about it.

I have also heard that silencers do wonders for barrel harmonics. I'm still not personally convinced that it will make a big difference. Though, I must admit that my idea of a "big difference" is much different than most comeptitive shooters.

Honestly I believe that handloaded ammo and a good trigger are going to make the biggest difference.

It's all oppinion though.

All that BS aside, if you think it will make a difference and it won't break your bank account: GO FOR IT! :) :) :)