Selling 922 Compliant Saiga 12s

Has anyone sold a Saiga [converted 922 Compliant] ...mailed it off..only to run into a FFL dealer that is not in the know of Converted Saigas...Refused to trans it..because they are afraid they are not legal??..I suppose the Gunsmith that did the work could supply the Invoice as to what work was done...US parts etc....

What do you guys do that did the conversion yourself???

Hell..I've even had Dimwits tell me the 410 with External threads for factory chokes were not legal..

It would seem that the pre-req for a FFL holder would be at least to know what the hell the law in their state actually restricts...& doesn't..

I can't find where LA..the Cajun State has any such restrictions...

Anybody had this problem???

Just my opinion...

Always talk with dealers prior to doing business them and get a feel for their understanding of both Title 1 and Title 2 firearms. If they are not (generally) knowledgable walk away and find another. Personally, I don't give business to dealers than don't sell or personally own NFA firearms. I'm not saying that there aren't some stupid SOT holders... but usually they understand the nuances of NFA and 922r.

If you use a dealer that is (1) less knowlegable than you, (2) doesn't know or refuses to acknowledge that he knows less than you (3) doesn't trust your opinion because you don't use buy from him too often and (4) is going to ignorantly turn away your business............. WHY on freakin earth are you going to give the dealer your business? There are way too many dealers out there to deal with headaches of an ignorant FFL.

With regards to personal conversions and gunsmiths/FFLs, I keep all receipts for the parts associated with 922r compliance and staple copies of them to a Tech Branch letter enumerating what imported parts the ATF recognizes on the firearm whenever I need smith work done.

If you do have a dumbass FFL, find another. But if you are a glutton for punishment, I recommend you just have the barreled receiver sent to the FFL and have all the other parts shipped to you personally. That way the dealer never knows what they don't know. It might cost you more in shipping, but you'll save the money from the asprin you won't have to buy.

Edited by RDSWriter
Has anyone sold a Saiga [converted 922 Compliant] ...mailed it off..only to run into a FFL dealer that is not in the know of Converted Saigas...Refused to trans it..because they are afraid they are not legal??..I suppose the Gunsmith that did the work could supply the Invoice as to what work was done...US parts etc....

What do you guys do that did the conversion yourself???

Hell..I've even had Dimwits tell me the 410 with External threads for factory chokes were not legal..

It would seem that the pre-req for a FFL holder would be at least to know what the hell the law in their state actually restricts...& doesn't..

I can't find where LA..the Cajun State has any such restrictions...

Anybody had this problem???

There is so many laws that the cops don't know half of them. About six years ago I was taking all my gun to the apartment I was living in at the time for a spring cleaning. I keep them at my parents because they all wouldn't fit into my safe at the apartment. I stopped by my friends house, who was having a cook out. A cop came because of loud music. When he was there he glanced in my car and saw a lot of evil stuff. I had a underfolding hungarian ak, fixed stock milled bulgarian ak, m15 with a 37mm launcher on it, a sks, preban m11, preban m12, postban tec 9, 2- 8shot mossberg 500s, 8shot winchester 1300 defender, and a S&W model 15 .38spl. He told me my weapons were being confiscated and I was going to jail. I politely told him he wasn't taking them and I wasn't going to jail, and continued to fill him in on the law. In the mean time more cops were showing up and the neighbors where getting in there cars and leaving, I assume of all the "bad" things he and his partners were taking out of a 21 yr old kids vehicle and in fear of a raging gun battle that might ensue. They had to call in a hardened Sargent in to inform them that it was completely legal and that I had broken no laws. I was very surprised the police didn't know the legality of my weapons, they didn't even know which mags went to which gun. Especially since Dayton ranks 17th for violent crime in the nation. I thought they would be more informed on such a touchy subject. By the end of it all I had my guns and the cook out continued with a little lower music, some police were eating dogs and burgers and some not so timid neighbors wanted to know how they could get some guns like mine. It was a memorable moment. What I'm saying is that just because the FFL's work with guns don't mean they know anything about them or the laws that govern them.

Edited by Mike Davidson

SELL????? :cryss:

You may have trouble selling a Saiga that you convert yourself. The BATFE launguage is "constructed" therefore you did not convert a forign weapon, you constructed a new one. If the conversion is done by a liscenced 'smith, no problem. However if you do the conversion yourself, it could be construed to be non transferable.

G O B