http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?p=WX2&i=96847

What's the deal with these cheap arse m14 mags? Anyone ordered from this company before? I'm thinking you get what you pay for....

Buuuuut, I'm also thinking that if the mags are remotely decent that this is a candidate for doing some machine work to get at least a couple 30 rounders working in a Saiga .308 :).

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul

Been ordering stuff from Sportsmans Guide for years--ammo, scopes, spare parts, mags, ammo cans, etc. Very reputable place. Good customer service. Prompt shipping. Lots of surplus stuff. Never had any problems with them. Yes, you get what you pay for usually but there are gems to be had at times. Have no specific knowledge of these mags, but who knows? They may have potential. :smoke:

Been ordering stuff from Sportsmans Guide for years--ammo, scopes, spare parts, mags, ammo cans, etc. Very reputable place. Good customer service. Prompt shipping. Lots of surplus stuff. Never had any problems with them. Yes, you get what you pay for usually but there are gems to be had at times. Have no specific knowledge of these mags, but who knows? They may have potential. :smoke:

Plus you gotta love that 4 pay plan for those of us who aren't rich :super:

Plus you gotta love that 4 pay plan for those of us who aren't rich :super:

Not to mention the $10 off any $99 purchase coupon you get with every order you place. I buy ammo, optics, camping gear, shoes, jackets and all kinds of stuff from them. The Buyer's Club fee is worth every penny.

What's the deal with these cheap arse m14 mags? Anyone ordered from this company before? I'm thinking you get what you pay for....

Buuuuut, I'm also thinking that if the mags are remotely decent that this is a candidate for doing some machine work to get at least a couple 30 rounders working in a Saiga .308 :).

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul

Those are purely commercial aftermarket mags...the fact that they are 30 rounders pretty well gives that away (there are aftermarket 20 rounders as well). These were done for M14 type weapons as well as H&K G3 types.

They are pretty poorly made. The metal is soft. The rear latch locking tab is a stamped ledge. the follower is plastic (poor bolt holding also involved). And, the spring has a less than positive feel to it.

I have a couple of them. They are cheap enough and okay for play...but that is about it.

I think I may donate one to my Saiga jus' for grins. The rear latch, building it up, is going to be a little more of a problem than the military mag as it had a thick & hard metal plate at that location that could be built up...these just have sheet metal.

A alternative for you might be to get one of the chinese (Taiwan) made 20 rounders -they are cheaper than the U.s ones and are milspec (other than not being parked). You see these around for sale.

Lollygagger :smoke:

Thank you much for the 411, lolly. Build-up with my MIG welder is exactly what I was thinking too :). Though the Lincoln Electric MIG I have says it can weld soda cans together hehehe, it might be an interesting project. Now I'm just trying to decide whether I have the 79 bucks to possibly flush.

Hmm interesting note on the springs too. Can other aftermarket magazine springs be obtained? I don't think I want to add spring fabrication to my to-do list if I decide to try re-fabricating these things. :)

I fully intend to do the google thing, but do you know anywhere in particular that sells the chinese made 20 rounders?

Thanks again!

Paul

Thank you much for the 411, lolly. Build-up with my MIG welder is exactly what I was thinking too :). Though the Lincoln Electric MIG I have says it can weld soda cans together hehehe, it might be an interesting project. Now I'm just trying to decide whether I have the 79 bucks to possibly flush.

Hmm interesting note on the springs too. Can other aftermarket magazine springs be obtained? I don't think I want to add spring fabrication to my to-do list if I decide to try re-fabricating these things. :)

I fully intend to do the google thing, but do you know anywhere in particular that sells the chinese made 20 rounders?

Thanks again!

Paul

I'd see if the spring functioned okay for you first. If not, a spring for a large 30 round mag may be a little hard to come by...I'd probably just get a couple cheap HK G3 mags, and "crimp" the springs together. I've had good luck with use of the hK springs in other applications regharding the Saiga .308.

I'll see what I can find out on the chinese M-14 mags...I remember seeing them for sale in a past Shotgun News. These are the one's Tromix has evidently, by their report, been using.

Lollygagger :smoke: