Saiga 12 Magazine Modification

Since we can get new 5 rounders now, how about someone making a coupler like for PVC pipe. The mag could be cut in half and then glued into the top and bottom of the coupler. Might need a new spring too. That way no feed lips, mag catches or floorplates need to be made. Comments? I also put this in the 308 section but would be even easier to make for the shotties.

Since we can get new 5 rounders now, how about someone making a coupler like for PVC pipe. The mag could be cut in half and then glued into the top and bottom of the coupler. Might need a new spring too. That way no feed lips, mag catches or floorplates need to be made. Comments? I also put this in the 308 section but would be even easier to make for the shotties.

I HAVE A BUDDY THAT MAKE 5ROUNDERS INTO 10 ROUNDERS IF YOU WANT THE INFO LET ME KNOW THATKS MARK

It's probably best just to weld two 5-round magazines together. With some follower trimming and spring stretching you can fit 11rounds in this type of magazine. Problem with using a coupler are two fold: 1) the follower needs the raised guides to keep it level and feeding properly; 2) the rims of the shells may misalign within the coupler. Are 5-rounders still selling at ~$45? That's still a bit steeper than I'd like to go. :ded:

The coupler would have to be made with the ribs. The inside would match up in size with the mag parts. Some experimenting would have to be done but it would be a lot stronger than welding. And could be made a lot cheaper. Maybee Im not getting the concept out right. Help anyone?

Edited by ironhead7544

there were some spliced 5 round mags to take 9? I think it was? out there. I think they were all frankenmags. something about having to shave the top of the mag that you cut the top off of thin and then glueing that inside the full mag, and then indexing the top and bottom mag with the shell rim on the joint between the two......

Thats it. Except the coupler would be longer and has the same interior as the mags have. It extends to the desired length. You dont have to thin the mag parts as the coupler is wider at the top and bottom for 1/4 inch or so.

Edited by ironhead7544
Thats it. Except the coupler would be longer and has the same interior as the mags have. It extends to the desired length. You dont have to thin the mag parts as the coupler is wider at the top and bottom for 1/4 inch or so.

It's an interesting idea, might could work but it seems like it might be a bit of extra work though. I don't mean to be a nay-sayer, I'd love to see it in production, however I think it'd be simpler to splice to fives directly together. If you reinforce the frankenmag joints they're fairly strong and you don't have to do any fabrication of ridges on an external coupler whose tolerances would have to be fairly strict. Also, since the 5-round magazines are so strait a coupler might destroy the curve needed to ensure proper feeding unless it's curved as well, which makes fabrication that much more difficult. :ded: Maybe I'm over-thinking it, or maybe there's some of you out there with skills a helluva lot better than mine that could make it work. I'd love to see it, so let us know how it progresses. Thanks!