question about ammunition

Dear all

Got a question regarding ammo. I 've a Saiga-223, a really satisfaying rifle by the way. I usually fire .223 ammo (Remington brand), but since I've got some recent 5,56 nato rounds from when I was in the army I'm wondering whether I really can fire them in my saiga. My gun dealer told me yes, some advices on the Internet told me there's a risk given the strenght of the 5.56 round, etc...

Now once and for all, can I fire a 5.56 nato ammo in my Saiga without blowing my forearm off?

Thnaks for your answers and for this website, full of useful info

I would field strip your carbine and insert one of the 5.56 rounds into the chamber by hand and push on the head to firmly seat the round in the chamber and see if it "sticks" - this would indicate that the bullet is jamming into the rifeling and would indicate NOT to shoot the 5.56 in your carbine.

Mine does not stick - and I bet yours won't either but it is a good idea to check.

Mine shows no pressure signs with 5.56 NATO spec ammo.

The Russian guns usually have quite generous chambers to allow for 100% functioning in adverse conditions.

• 3 weeks later...
I would field strip your carbine and insert one of the 5.56 rounds into the chamber by hand and push on the head to firmly seat the round in the chamber and see if it "sticks" - this would indicate that the bullet is jamming into the rifeling and would indicate NOT to shoot the 5.56 in your carbine.

Mine does not stick - and I bet yours won't either but it is a good idea to check.

Mine shows no pressure signs with 5.56 NATO spec ammo.

The Russian guns usually have quite generous chambers to allow for 100% functioning in adverse conditions.

Aboluby! remember, this is an ak, not a match chamber, delicate wall flower, it will handle all your round preferences