Here's a look at my personal favorite; my twin set of AK-74M's;

battleaks5hi.jpg

On the left is my wood stocked AK-74M, with bakelite mag and matching bayonet/scabbard. On the right is my Izhevsk marked Plum stocked Model, with matching Izhevsk marked plum bayonet/scabbard. Both rifles are wearing a pouch containing an oiler bottle, a must on all my possible "zombie invasion" guns for cleaning on the fly. There are 15 rounds stripers laying about, as well as a 1,080 round can of actual Russian Mil-Spec 7N6 PS rounds [53 gr. FMJBT 1976 production]. A 4 cell magazine carrier with black magazines lays to the left, with mag covers, while an Afghan/Chinese chest rig lays beneath the two rifles, with bakelite mags.

The chest rig is quite a piece of it's own. The chest rig is Chinese in origin, but was apparently captured and/or used by the Russians in Afghanistan. This is determined by; 1- I got it from Russia, and 2- The rig has been soaked and stretched to accommodate two layers of AK74 magazines. Originally these chest rigs only held 3 AK47 magazines, but by soaking them in water the Russians found they could stretch them out to hold two magazines in each pouch instead of one, for a total of six magazines. Newer production Chinese ak47 chest rigs can be sorted out because they have a plastic liner that runs the entire length of the tops of the pouches, making it impossible to stretch them. This little beauty cost me a tidy sum, and I had to do some very careful restoration to some of the seams [ever tried to order 40 year old matching sewing thread?]. I also replaced all the wooden catches, as the originals were quite rotten. I did my best to repair it while no altering it in any way.

Atop the chest rig lays my 1976 Izhevsk Russian Makarov, and the holster lays to the right. She's quite worn, used and abused, but she still shoots amazingly well.

Here's a close up of the "battleworn" Makarov;

makarov8gl.jpg

Questions comments concerns thoughts?

Edited by Redbear
Those are very nice AK-74s, but they're not -74Ms since they lack the polymer folding stock.

AK-74M = modernized AK-74.

AK-74M's = there is more than one in the picture.

AK-74MS = sidefolding stock Modernizzed AK-74M.

Please note that I denote mise as the second- two AK-74M rifles.

English is my second language, but I had thought I had made that relatively clear, unless you do not know tyour Soviet Military Designations. Either way, hope that clears that up, HTH~

I am not ashamed to say that setup gives me wood :wub::wub::wub::wub:

damn fine pair ya got there..and great tip on the chest rigs..soaking them in water huh? got any details on how to do this? I have 5 of these rigs and would LOOOOVE to double my carrying capacity..

--Bravo 26

...and great tip on the chest rigs..soaking them in water huh? got any details on how to do this? I have 5 of these rigs and would LOOOOVE to double my carrying capacity..

--Bravo 26

Bravo26-

This is old Soviet Military trick learned in afghanistan.

I will "pretty" the process up so that 1- you don;t make mess, and 2- don;t ruin and rust yours mags [not a concern for soviet soldier in the desert - water would evaporate in minutes.]

First, if you have NEW chinease chest rigs, you must remove the plastic liner that runs along the inner edge of all three magazine pockets. ALL of it must be removed, including the threading. Next, you must fill a couple of inches of hot temperature water in sink. Next you need 6 AK74 or AK47 [depending upon your use] magazines. Separate the magazines into couples. Place two magazines, overtop of eachother as they wil lay in the pouch, in a LARGE zip lock bag. Drop chesdt rig in water, making sure ALL fabric is thoroughly soaked. Remove frrom water, and wring out. now, push the bagged two mags into teh pouch, working them side to side, stretching them out. the cotton will stretch. Make sure to get magazines all the way to the bottom of each pouch. Go from left to right, or right to left. If you do the two edges, the center pouch will be nearly impossible. when all pouches full, be sure to close and secure flaps. Hang over the shower curtain rod, so that dripping water does not make mess. let dry TWO WHOLE DAYS, preferably with a fan on or better yet blowing on it, to prevent mildew and stink and rotting of fabric. After two days, remove mags, remove plastic bags, re-insert mags into pouches. Should be tight, but have plenty of room to pull out fairly quick. Fill other pouches with ammo, cleaning kit, tools, spoon, thread and needle, oil/solvent bottle, patches and a mag loader. you are set!

Here is anoher small tip for increasing the amount of munitions you can carry.

Take your four cell maagzines carier, and turn it inside out. Using a stitch ripper, remove the separators. Again, wet the carrier, and put SIX magazines in a LARGE ziploc bag and force them into the pouch. The magazines will ahve to be stacked in a straight row in such a way that the folowers are up and the rearward edge [magazine catch] of the mags are all against the back of the pouch, SAW pouch style. Hang over the shower curtain rod, so that dripping water does not make mess. let dry TWO WHOLE DAYS, preferably with a fan on or better yet blowing on it, to prevent mildew and stink and rotting of fabric. After two days, remove mags, remove plastic bags, re-insert mags into pouches. Should be tight, but have plenty of room to pull out fairly quick. Now you have gone from 4 to 6 magazines carrying capability. Combine this with your chest rig, plus the pouch, and it is VERY impressive. Here's the readout;

6 loaded mags - chest rig - 180 Rounds

6 loaded mags - Belt pouch - 180 Rounds

1 loaded mag - in the gun - 30 rounds

plus two 30 rounds packages, carried in chest rig pouches - 60 rounds

plus one 30 rounds pack carried in the side pouch on the belt pouch - 30 rounds

TOTAL;

390 rounds, loaded and ready in magaines

90 rounds carried additional in packages

GRAND TOTAL;

480 rounds

PLUS cleaning kit, mag loader, sight tool, spoon [real soldiers would understand :smoke: ], thread and needle [for repairs], oil/solvent bottle and patches. grand total wieght of these two rigs [loaded] PLUS bayonet, pistol [loaded] and three extra pistol magazines is well unde 30 pounds, easily carried by nearly anyone.

This load out should easily last someone through any patrol/contact. If you need to fire more rounds than that, I would classify it an all out large scale firefight that you are outclassed in [you are either in need of more friendly forces to support your op/defense, or you were very outnumbered and/or outgunned]. In such a case, evade and escape is a better option than standing and fighting, and this light of a load should be fairly easy to move in. Adding a light pack with several MRE's, chem lights, and a small med kit would increase teh wieght by as little as 5-10 pounds, wouldn;t encumber you any/if at all, and could give one the means to survive, evade and escape for several days away from camp.

The ramifications of this loading allows for longer patrols that pack more firepower, with the possibility of being completely self sustaining. Ten men armed and loaded as such would be a force to be reckoned with, and would require heavy firepower and/or large nuumbers to move, displace, or overcome. A single scout could, under idealized circumstances and properly loaded in his small pack, be self sustained for a week.

Questions comments, concerns?

HTH~