Accidentally dropped my saiga.........help!

Sunofabitch!

It landed right on the pistol grip.

I have an ergo grip on mine and it bent the receiver aroung the PG nut hole btween where the old trigger slot is.

Has anyone ever welded a support piece for extra support between the old trigger slot and the nut hole? I will be fixing it this way, and I want to know if the heat from welding would weaken the receiver in this area.

Should be fine... they are tough rifles... I am honestly suprised you fucked it up JUST by dropping it... they are supposed to be made to deal with all sorts of potential battlefield conditions.. I would think that would be a major one... Go figure...

Just do your thing... do it carefully, and with some caution, and I think all will be excellent! :up:

:smoke:

The guns we have are not the same ones as used "over there". We have "sheet metal" where they have heavy milled ones. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but do you think ATF would let them bring in the same guns. If you dropped it, it was most likely because it scared the shit out of you how good it shoots. My first 50 round clip made me holler "damn this MF is good" the neighbors heard IT and ME for miles. Now I'm waiting on the 20 rd mags for the 308. Asshole down the street keeps laughing at the 8 rder's, holler's "is that all you got". The AR50 ain't far away from being on order, mad money is almost there.

nope, that PG plate is for stamped recievers, just like ours. it's just spot-welded on there.

it was added in the early 80's i think, to underfolders.

Those PG plates can be purchased, but i wasn't suggesting you buy one, I was saying go ahead and cut one out to match your ergo, and weld it on. They do it all the time.

edit: that one in the photo is on a stamped sidefolder.

edit2:the soviets developed the stamped reciever in 1959 and it replaced the milled reciever in military service in 1961.

The guns we have are not the same ones as used "over there". We have "sheet metal" where they have heavy milled ones. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but do you think ATF would let them bring in the same guns. If you dropped it, it was most likely because it scared the shit out of you how good it shoots. My first 50 round clip made me holler "damn this MF is good" the neighbors heard IT and ME for miles. Now I'm waiting on the 20 rd mags for the 308. Asshole down the street keeps laughing at the 8 rder's, holler's "is that all you got". The AR50 ain't far away from being on order, mad money is almost there.
Edited by 44rdv4rk
edit2:the soviets developed the stamped reciever in 1959 and it replaced the milled reciever in military service in 1961.

Actually it was developed as a stamped receiver rifle, but the shortage of stamping equipment in post WWII USSR and demands for sheet metal equipment, in the aerospace industry prompted the redesign of the rifle to a milled receiver, then the akm which was the return to the stamped receiver models. The early chinese were milled and later exports were variants of both.

cool, though it's weird to think of milling as the fall back option.

then again, i sure wouldnt want to carry a milled ak on a long march. i bet they were glad when the stamped rifles were issued.

Actually it was developed as a stamped receiver rifle, but the shortage of stamping equipment in post WWII USSR and demands for sheet metal equipment, in the aerospace industry prompted the redesign of the rifle to a milled receiver, then the akm which was the return to the stamped receiver models. The early chinese were milled and later exports were variants of both.
cool, though it's weird to think of milling as the fall back option.

then again, i sure wouldnt want to carry a milled ak on a long march. i bet they were glad when the stamped rifles were issued.

Wow - several versions of history - mine is slightly different: They developed the stamped version first, but had problems with the rivets loosening with use (never heard machinery shortage story before), so they decided to go with the milled receivers - three mods, then, they brought the stamped receivers back, using counter-sunk holes and swell neck rivets to eliminate the rivet loosening problems and have used the stamped receivers ever since. There have been some variations such as using 1.6mm steel and adding the hump on the side to make room for bigger bolt lugs, etc...

Some of the best ones are milled, the valmets are milled and I think the galils are too. Look at some of the photos of the middle east and even the aks used by the palastinian authority are milled for the most part(thus the plo kits with milled receiver parts too)

=====================================================================

Reall Russian AK's are ALL stamped, NOT milled. Only the first ones were milled back in 1945 - 1947. These Saiga's are THE SAME QUALITY AND GRADE as real AK's. Trust me. I spent 8 years in the Russian military.

Honestly, I am surprised how this guy managed to cause that kind of damage. It must have collided with some hard surface big time.

=====================================================================