I picked my rifle up yesterday and toyed with a little, yesterday when I got home from work I set off to work on it. The conversion was easy! I did a fairly standard conversion Fullsize AK stock, Saw style PG, Tapco G2, and an adjustable rear site, all done at the kitchen table with a dremmel, drill, hammer, punch, Mini grinder (did have to go out side for that), needle nose pliars, and a can of spray paint. I guess it helps having the square pistol grip hole already there.

Question, which magazines should I buy to modify for my Saiga! I know I need to get a bullet guide that is no problem.

My Saiga conversion (an AK-103 folder done by Elite Firearms) accepts standard AK mags - I don't think the modification to allow standard mags to work is that big of a deal and is prefered over having to mod all of the mags. Apparently, the only thing that you need to do is shorten the mag catch!! Check here: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/step_10a.htm

That is a no brainer after what you've already accomplished.

I haven't done this conversion yet, but seeing this, I may have to get a 7.62x39 Saiga sporter to mod. :)

Aim Surplus had some of those U.S. made Magazines pretty cheap are they worth consideration for the Saig?

Well, here I am again.

If you are refering to the "Promag" polymer mags, stay away from them - they have had all kinds of stress fracture probs.

If you want the real deal, get you some Bulgarian waffle mags - which is what the Promag is copying. Here's what you want: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...&cat=248&page=1 These are only $17 too - I think the Promags are a little more... go figure.

I have 7 of these and they are sweet - fit snuggly in the Saiga 7.62 and look great too.

20500AK-103_Right_open.jpg

Regular steel mags work fine but have a little "wobble" to them - no biggy.

Edited by O.S.O.K.

No problem!

Also - forgot that you need a bullet guide too - but not a big deal - this is just a piece of metal that goes in the space just in front of where the mag fits in. The Saiga mags have a litlle "lip" that serves to bump the nose of the bullet into the chamber as they feed - standard mags don't, so you have to put something in the front of the mag well to serve the same purpose.

The directions on making and installing are available here- do a search to find - they are also detailed on that site that I linked to in the previous reply.

I would think that simply filling that space with JB Weld would also work fine, but I've never tried it... I do know that welding a bead there does work.

Edited by O.S.O.K.

My Pro Mag magazine works well in an AK and will work in my Saiga when I convert it. It works flawlessly in my friend's AK and he's going to buy some magazines. My suggestion is to try one since they're about $12-15 so you won't lose too much if it won't work out to your liking. This magazine gives you three US compliance parts for the USC922r which is designed to make felons out of law abiding individuals.

My experience with Pro Mag magazines has been good. All of them are as good as the factory ones and function identically to them. I have Pro Mag polymer magazines for the Mini-14 which work flawlessly and drop freely when released. Not many aftermarket Mini-14 magazines work as well and I have my share of bad magazines for that rifle.

AK magazines were designed to function well and I haven't seen too many bad AK magazines.

Edited by uzitiger

I don't like to rely on magazines for parts count. That way you can slap in any mag or drum and know you are legal. :up: As for the Pro-Mags. I've been using two for several years and have yet to have a problem.

Also, to use the standard AK mags - bullet guide & mag catch shaved. IMHO, it's easier to bolt (buttonhead cap screws) or rivet on an AK triggerguard rather than trying to shorten the existing catch. I've done it both ways.

I guess I'll order a few promags down the road. I have 4 waffle mags coming so they should do for a while. Now as for the bullet guide. Danzig how do you sell them? Credit card, pay pal or check?

I plan to use the rifle for my 3 gun rifle what can I expect out to 100 yards for grouping?

Edited by topmaul
I guess I'll order a few promags down the road. I have 4 waffle mags coming so they should do for a while. Now as for the bullet guide. Danzig how do you sell them? Credit card, pay pal or check?

I plan to use the rifle for my 3 gun rifle what can I expect out to 100 yards for grouping?

PM sent...

I really like this gun I hope it shoots well. The next thing I want to do is to dress it up a little with a muzzle break and a front hand guard of some kind. Any suggestions? How would I attach a muzzle device?

You can machine the threads out of the back of any AK brake, and make it to slip over the front sight block shroud. Then drill & tap the brake for set screws to lock it on. Similiar to the AK-74 brakes I make for the S-410's.

That or cut the shroud off & thread for AK threads. Easier if you press the FSB off first.

Handguards are another barrel of monkeys.

Promag - I have read many a post over on gunsnet where these experienced cracking and failures - after several thousand rounds.

They do not have metal inserts like the Bulgarians and for my money, I'd rather have mags that will last.

Dinzag, you refer to cutting the front sight base off - can't you just push out the cross pins and press it off? Is it welded or something?

I've got experience with romanian and bulgarian ak parts sets - building but not the Saiga other than doing the pg conversion.

I too am interested in installing a brake/hider on my .308 carbine and was wondering about this.

Promag - I have read many a post over on gunsnet where these experienced cracking and failures - after several thousand rounds.

They do not have metal inserts like the Bulgarians and for my money, I'd rather have mags that will last.

Dinzag, you refer to cutting the front sight base off - can't you just push out the cross pins and press it off? Is it welded or something?

I've got experience with romanian and bulgarian ak parts sets - building but not the Saiga other than doing the pg conversion.

I too am interested in installing a brake/hider on my .308 carbine and was wondering about this.

There are several generations of Pro-Mags. The current ones work 100%, I prefer the clear ones. They are also backed by a lifetime warranty. I had 4 old ones theat didn't work. I shipped them back and recieved 5 clear ones in return. Good shit IMO.

As far as threading goes I used a pipe cutter to mark the line where I needed to cut then dremeled along the line. It came off pretty easily and the thread job was no problem with a kit rented from WJM.

There are several generations of Pro-Mags. The current ones work 100%, I prefer the clear ones. They are also backed by a lifetime warranty. I had 4 old ones theat didn't work. I shipped them back and recieved 5 clear ones in return. Good shit IMO.

As far as threading goes I used a pipe cutter to mark the line where I needed to cut then dremeled along the line. It came off pretty easily and the thread job was no problem with a kit rented from WJM.

Well if they honor the warranty and give service like that - and are $12 to boot, then you are right, why not?

Removing the shroud in front of the front sight tower. Yes, press it off is the way to go. If you swap the fsb for a different one, you may have to move the barrel pin locations.

Removing the shroud in front of the front sight tower. Yes, press it off is the way to go. If you swap the fsb for a different one, you may have to move the barrel pin locations.

Dinzag is rigth, on the .308 you wll have to move the pins, or silver solder the FSB to the barrel

no pins in that case , or silver solder and fake pins to look normal

Edited by vjor
OSOK did the FCG go in just like the 7.62x39?

Yes, I used a Red Star and so didn't have to re-shape the hammer. This fcg allows all kinds of adjustment and I decided on a single stage pull. It is excellent and the safety is vey positive too.

There is a little side-to-side movement (which can be cured with spacers) but it doesn't seem to affect the pull or sear engagement.

Well I got to shoot it today and it shoots great I wish I would have had time to go to the 100 yard line, I used the factory non modified magazine because I have not yet put a bullet feed ramp in it. It worked just fine only one FTF but that was it.

I did it again Fullchoke was logged on and I made a post. Well like I said the gun functioned well I sited in with Irons at 35 yards then it shot sufficently flat to not need a site adjustment at 50, I sited in my scope a 50 I may go out tomarrow and shoot 100 yards. I really should. Then Black Creek Here I come.

I also sited in my AR-15 which always shoots extreamly well.

My Wasr on the other hand had several FTF with one magazine I switched to a Weiger 30 and it had no more issues it also shoots a nice group. Well take care and have a happy 4th.