pistol grip vs sporting style

hi im pretty new here ,I bought my saiga 12 a couple of months ago only put a few thousand rounds throgh it yet so im just getting the feel of it ,anyway I was just wondering if I should convert to a pistol grip

what do you guys think the accuracy of the pistol grip is like at moving targets like skeet ,ducks ,goose ,hitchickers etc ,the old man recons it will be hard to aim good but its not like hes tryed it or anything as not many shottys have pistol grips , so Ill get some expert advice of you guys

ps . it may take a while to get back as im not very compooter minded ,and only typing with one finger on left hand as I smashed it firing both barrells on the double the other day

it took me about half an hour to write this .cool

:osama::killer:

hi im pretty new here ,I bought my saiga 12 a couple of months ago only put a few thousand rounds throgh it yet so im just getting the feel of it ,anyway I was just wondering if I should convert to a pistol grip

what do you guys think the accuracy of the pistol grip is like at moving targets like skeet ,ducks ,goose ,hitchickers etc ,the old man recons it will be hard to aim good but its not like hes tryed it or anything as not many shottys have pistol grips , so Ill get some expert advice of you guys

ps . it may take a while to get back as im not very compooter minded ,and only typing with one finger on left hand as I smashed it firing both barrells on the double the other day

it took me about half an hour to write this .cool

:osama::killer:

If you're using it for skeet and whatnot and you can aim accurately with it as is, I wouldn't worry about swapping it. I don't know about others, but I'm swapping mine because A) I want to make it an official US made shotgun not subject to 922®, B) I want it to have a folder and a natural feel to it for maneuvering around my house or property should I need to use it in defense and C) I think it looks fucking cool.

Functionally, I don't think you'd lose much accuracy, if anything, by pistol gripping it. If you can acquire a target with a gun, you can acquire a moving target with that same gun. Considering there's plenty of people here who obviously have no issue acquiring a target with a pistol gripped and fully converted Saiga-12, I'd say just go with what you like the looks of best. As long as it's still got a stock you can brace into your shoulder, you'll have a good solid base to shoot from, and can hit whatever you want.

the main thing of concern for most people that do sport shooting is the "balance and swing." those$10k franchi's do have a beautifuly "balance and swing" where as ours is very front heavy. A PG will change your grip, thus affecting B&S, and a new stock has the potential too as well. However, you can counter alterations in B&S by adding weights to different locations on the gun, adjusting the length of the barrel, etc. Something like the T6 adjustable stock I would say is great for skeet. The adjustable length of the stock means you can get it to shoulder perfectly for you which is more important than anything else. Once you have a perfect shoulder, experiment adding weights in different places and you can fine tune the B&S. Just be sure you pick an appropriate lengthed stock if you get one that isn't adjustable or it will make it a bit more difficult, however practice can make up for anything. So the main two things are 1) get something you're happiest with in terms of look and overall function, 2) practice.

have a great one

I have shot my S20 at the trap range... and I can shoot perfect 25's with it often.

My S12 is almost as good to me as the 20 is. I consistently shoot 22-24's with that one.

The S12 has the rail, the S20 has the rifle sights. so it isnt a matter of either one being better... just me gotta remember things like "keep the head down", "follow through", "lead properly", "dont jerk when firing", etc..etc..etc... things that fuck up your trap shooting... LOL

It's a fine gun for it, once you can shoot it. and the naysayers be damned when I walk off the line with 24's and 25's and they couldnt break 20! :up:

:smoke:

The only disadvantages of converting to p-grip, which may not be disadvantages to your uses, are:

1.) While center of gravity will be lower with the conversion (and thus more stable), it will still be higher in comparison to your hand. Ie you hold it lower, though you have a much better grip to balance it with.

2.) The grip will protrude more. However, I think the standard mags on a Saiga 12 and 20 shotgun protrude even more, so that's probably a non-issue.

Here's a solution - buy another Saiga of some variety and keep one standard while converting the other.

I tried it both ways and the traditional stock seems to hold my wrist at an odd angle. There wasnt any functional difference I could discern.

I have a tromix conversion with a super shorty skeleton stock with a recoil pad. I have no problems aligning with the irons or pointing the gun about. Very comfortable.