I have two Saigas now and more to come soon as funds available. I shoot all my firearms stock and find that these shoulder and sight very nicely, a pleasure to shoot. My first was 7.62 16" and I just picked up a .223 in the same size. I have nicked up and put handling marks on my first and usually go over the bare metal with a B-Casey gun blue pen to try to keep the metal from the elements, but one day I will want to redo the finish as I try to keep all my firearms in decent shape.

Since the coating is painted I am wondering should I plan for the future for striping the metal and going with a gun blue or should I plan for a coating like Duracoat. I am asking since I would rather see my Saigas finish be a gun blue but am not sure if the metal will take a good blueing; and I am not sure if the Duracoat will be any more rugged than the original tho I expect it has to be.

I am asking since many have experience in the conversion and probably have tried one way or both.

Many thanks,

Good question. I too, will be watching the answers. My only Saiga is a 7.62X39 also. And I like it just fine in the factory configuration. Although I have been thinking about buying a DuraCoat Kit and trying a little VietNam jungle stripe on it.

Lifer

Gun Kote is an excellent product. How about a yellow AK? :D

If you want something readily available and cheap that matches the stock paint very well go to wally world and get some Duplicolor flat black High-temp engine paint - automotive area. $5.79 After removing the furniture and internals, thoroughly degrease, follow application directions and bake in the oven ( I hang my parts up under a rack) for a few hours 300-400 degrees. Don't forget the receiver cover and gas tube :)

Here is a pic of my .308 with this finish - fresh from the oven:

20500PDRM0356-med.JPG

Very durable and that $6 can of paint will do two or more rifles.

Thats sounds like a good option! Will pick up a can probably give it a go on a Norinco I am refurbing that was damaged in the Hurricane. I think the Norinco was originally painted as well. I am still wondering tho if the metal will accept blueing and if it will serve the firearm well?