Ace stocks and ported gas tube

Before making the decision to buy Saiga 308 I read every post to this forum. Based on what I uncovered here, I purchased a rifle and immediately began working on the pistol grip modification. All has gone smoothly to this point but now I find that I have two questions the answers to which I have not found elsewhere in this forum.

1. Ace stocks

I like the looks of the the Ace skeleton stock. There appear to be two ways to attach it to an AK. One way is using their universal receiver block while the other is to use their internal receiver block. The universal block does not require cutting off the tang but the internal block does require this operation.

Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these receiver blocks in the Saiga 308 receiver? If so I'd like to know if additional modifications (other than cutting off the tang) are required to get these AK specific parts to fit the Saiga.

2. Ported gas tube

I read in the 7.62x39 forum about a modification to the gas tube which involved drilling a series of holes in this part. The object of this modification was to lessen the amount of gas pushing on the op rod. The claimed benefits included less battering of the mechanism, softer recoil, reduced heat in the handguard, and reduced heat in the action. This all sounds good to me.

Does anyone have any experience with a ported gas tube in the .308? If so, what has been your experience, what size holes did you drill, and how many of them?

And now for a non-technical question:

3. Full capacity 20 round magazines from FBMG

Lastly, against my fiscally conservative better judgement I gave FBMG $100 of my hard earned paycheck to purchase three mags that nobody in the forum has seen much less tested. Did I just throw a C-note away?

Welcome to the forums!!

Where ya at in Allentown??? My dad lives about 15 miles south of there... and I graduated highschool in Boyertown... We should get together when I come to visit him and do some shootin!!! :up:

OK... on to your questions...

1... I used the ace adapter WITH TANG, in a X39, with the skeleton stock. ( I LOVE THAT STOCK!!! although I loved it so much, I took it off and stuck it on one of my AR15's. I think it looks better there cause that X39 got russian wood... so its all good! )

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=4357

Thats pics of it there... look at it and see for yourself... :up:

2... Small holes... like 3/32nd to 1/8th... somewhere in there... along the edge... look up the vented gas tubes, see a picture of them and go from there... there is no real science to it... just 4 or 5 holes along each side... like at the "10 and 2 O:Clock" positions... again... find pics... make what you like and feel good with... it will be ok and work! :lol:

3... NO... you didnt... just gotta be patient, those magazines will come.

Anything else?

:smoke:

Before making the decision to buy Saiga 308 I read every post to this forum. Based on what I uncovered here, I purchased a rifle and immediately began working on the pistol grip modification. All has gone smoothly to this point but now I find that I have two questions the answers to which I have not found elsewhere in this forum.

1. Ace stocks

I like the looks of the the Ace skeleton stock. There appear to be two ways to attach it to an AK. One way is using their universal receiver block while the other is to use their internal receiver block. The universal block does not require cutting off the tang but the internal block does require this operation.

Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these receiver blocks in the Saiga 308 receiver? If so I'd like to know if additional modifications (other than cutting off the tang) are required to get these AK specific parts to fit the Saiga.

2. Ported gas tube

I read in the 7.62x39 forum about a modification to the gas tube which involved drilling a series of holes in this part. The object of this modification was to lessen the amount of gas pushing on the op rod. The claimed benefits included less battering of the mechanism, softer recoil, reduced heat in the handguard, and reduced heat in the action. This all sounds good to me.

Does anyone have any experience with a ported gas tube in the .308? If so, what has been your experience, what size holes did you drill, and how many of them?

And now for a non-technical question:

3. Full capacity 20 round magazines from FBMG

Lastly, against my fiscally conservative better judgement I gave FBMG $100 of my hard earned paycheck to purchase three mags that nobody in the forum has seen much less tested. Did I just throw a C-note away?

1) I just cut the tang off of my S-12 and can only get one of my scope mounts to go on now. I had bought another internal block for my S-308 but in light on the scope problem decided against cutting my tang. The thing is that it didn't occur to me until just now that all I need to do is get the universal receiver block and all my mounts will clear the hinge without a problem. Thanks for the inspiration.

2) I don't know.

3) You did not throw your money away. FBMG is a name you can trust by every account I've ever read on this board.

Welcome to the forums!!

Where ya at in Allentown??? My dad lives about 15 miles south of there... and I graduated highschool in Boyertown... We should get together when I come to visit him and do some shootin!!! :up:

I'm in Emmaus. When I worked in Frazier, PA I drove up and down Rt 100 everyday.

2... Small holes... like 3/32nd to 1/8th... somewhere in there... along the edge... look up the vented gas tubes, see a picture of them and go from there... there is no real science to it... just 4 or 5 holes along each side... like at the "10 and 2 O:Clock" positions... again... find pics... make what you like and feel good with... it will be ok and work! :lol:

This is what I read about the 7.62x39. My concern is either putting too many holes in the gas tube resulting in a semi-auto that is now a single shot or not putting in enough holes thereby wasting all that time for no benefit. If I had a spare gas tube, I could experiment by drilling a couple of holes then shooting the rifle and repeating the process until the rifle failed to function. Then I would know the maximum number of holes. I was hoping someone had already done the experimentation so I wouldn't have to.

That leads to another question. Where can I get a spare Saiga .308 gas tube?

The only complaints I have heard about the ACE adapters is that they leave the rear of the stock raked upward. It just doesn't look right like that.

An interesting observation. I did notice this quirk as I was looking at various conversion pictures.

On your website are photos of various AK/Saiga's and they look like they're wearing Ace skeleton stocks. If these are Ace stocks but you didn't use Ace receiver adapters, how did you attach them?

Perhaps my question should be simpler. What stocks do you like and how do you attach them?

The only complaints I have heard about the ACE adapters is that they leave the rear of the stock raked upward. It just doesn't look right like that.

An interesting observation. I did notice this quirk as I was looking at various conversion pictures.

On your website are photos of various AK/Saiga's and they look like they're wearing Ace skeleton stocks. If these are Ace stocks but you didn't use Ace receiver adapters, how did you attach them?

Perhaps my question should be simpler. What stocks do you like and how do you attach them?

First- IMHO, the S308's gas tube is fine as-is. The Russians are not stupid and engineered the gas tube to work reliably. So, mine is unmodified. I have not noticed undue recoil or internal battering using milsurp NATO ammo.

As to stocks - any stock that fits into a standard AKM (stamped AK) will fit in your pistol grip Saiga. I have the TAPCO T-6 (M4 type telescoping) in my Saiga .223 conversion and it works great. I also have Romanian side-folders in other AK's and they work great too.

Edited by O.S.O.K.