Tapco Gas Piston

Anybody have a tapco gas piston? If so do youlike it? or is it "Crapco"?

If so which one is it? (a web address other that tapco.com lol)

Also, what is an easy U.S. part count item?

What i have (none installed)

Ace folding stock w/P-Grip (U.S. Made)

Hopefuly soon the KICK A55 20rd mag (3 parts)

I was think about doing things like (* are already purchased)

(5) Muzzle attachments

(9) Gas pistons

(15) Buttstocks*

(16) Pistol grips*

(17) Forearm handguards

(18) Magazine bodies*

(19) Followers*

(20) Floorplates*

anybody know where to get the rest (us made)

Edited by jedge

Can't comment on the AK piston, but I have one of their SKS ones and it's one of the few things I have from Tapco that the quality looks good on. If nothing else, I have to say they do have good customer service and a great return policy if you pick one up and don't feel happy with it.

I have the Arsenal piston in the Wife's S-.410, and have one for my S-.308. The Arsenal piece has a flange on the threaded part to transfer the force to the boltcarrier directly-NOT through the threads.

Before removing your origional from the carrier, stand the Arsenal unit on it's head next to the origional and mark where the nose of the carrier will need to be ground off. Also make a mark further up on the carrier to double check overall length. (carefully centerpunch this mark so that it dosen't go away. and write the measurement down)

Use the carbide ball burr in a small drill press-or you'r Dremmel tool (steady hand) and remove the two dimples that lock the factory piston into the carrier. It doesn't have to come out easy-in fact if it takes a bit of force to unscrew it's a good thing.

Grind the nose of the carrier ALMOST to you'r mark. Assemble and check overall length to you'r punch mark. File the end of the carrier to get final fit.

To lock in place use red locktite, or punch the threads flat through the holes left from removing the dimples.

This is the standard length piston, and the Arsenal is clearly marke "ARSENAL USA" and is a very high quality part.

Edited by G O B

I just put a tape to my gas piston and the exposed length measures 5.75 inches so I'm guessing it's 6.25 overall. As far as I know, the short piston is only for the ultra-short (14") barrel of the AMD.

Getting the old piston out was a bit of a pain, but I didn't go to the trouble measuring and all that G O B describes above. Maybe I just got lucky, but I believe the AK design tolerates some imprecision in fitting.

Tapco's piston is clearly marked "TAPCO USA".