Saiga Side Rail

Hey, 44rdv4rk. You sound like you know what you're talking about. It's dangerous having that kind of reputation - people will keep asking you questions.

Before the hundreds of other questions begin pouring in to you, I'd like to ask a simple question.

What make, model, brand, and color AK mount is the best in terms of rock solid mounting and adjustability on my Saiga .308? (just kidding about the color) I'm looking to put a red dot scope of some kind on the rifle.

Being a certified Saiga newbie I need someone to hold my hand and lead me through this.

first let me say i'm not an expert, just an information sponge that is fairly good at reasoning.

while i havent used any standalone mounts, logic would indicate that the more things you have clamped together, the more chance for one of the clamps to wiggle, statistically speaking...

that being said, i'd use a PKA with the mount built on to the scope, that way there's only one temporary junction, instead of two(the side rail mount and the weaver on top of it)

besides, the PKA just looks so damn cool.

http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes/pka.html

pkag.jpg

now i have to go smear shit on myself and dance naked in the road, so people won't think i'm too smart.

twomuddyhippieswoodstock1969SM.jpg

Edited by 44rdv4rk

Steve... You will probably want a low rise mount with a weaver rail. They are found all over, I would recommend here...

http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes/mountsksak.html

They got good items, good prices, and will have it to you within 10 business days direct from Russia. ( I think the package is cool with the cryllic markings, and twine tied wrap)

As far as the POSP mounts... you can get those from Eastwave too. 44rdv4rk is accurate, as an SVD mount will slide on from the FRONT on an AK rail, yet from the rear on an SVD rail. The opposite is true for an AK mount. it will slide on an SVD rail from the front, and from the rear on an AK rail.

That is where the problem lies with using an SVD mount on an AK rail... as its slipped on from the front... each time the weapon fires it will inch forward. With an AK rail, the AK mount is actually held in place by the weapon's recoil.

IF you already have an SVD mount, all is not lost.. There are alternate ways to mount one, that require a little more fanagling... but will work. You can drill and tap a hole in the SVD mount, that will allow the use of a set screw to tension against the AK rail, and will hold your mount in place. Its not an instant off mounting, but it will work. Its a big money saver, though... Just tossing that out there as a potential idea for you to mull over.

:smoke:

I appreciate the input and the pictures.

I bought my Saiga .308 new so it has whatever side rail the factory puts on it. NoAim says the Saiga's come with a standard AK side rail so I'm in good shape. All I need to do is squeeze another $200 out of my toy budget to get an AK scope mount.

I appreciate the input and the pictures.

I bought my Saiga .308 new so it has whatever side rail the factory puts on it. NoAim says the Saiga's come with a standard AK side rail so I'm in good shape. All I need to do is squeeze another $200 out of my toy budget to get an AK scope mount.

You can also just swap out the lower half of the mount. It attaches with the 4 flat head screws. I got mine from Kalinka. Think it was like $20 or so.