Anyone in PA ever do a Saiga conversion?

Guest aubie515

Guest aubie515

I would like to either have my Saiga 223 converted or sell it to someone that can do the conversion. Please feel free to email me at aubienittany@yahoo.com.

It's just that this conversion is more than I wanted to spend time wise and money wise...I know it's money well spent...it's just that I don't want to ship a rifle out and have to do paperwork on it again to get back something that I already own. I just have too many other projects going on at the same time, and because I spend more time with bolt action rifles and AR10 platforms...it requires more of my attention.

I'm in PA, but I suspect Pottstown is a bit of a drive. Plus, doing gunsmithing work for money, even if another FFL is used for transfer, requires a gunsmithing FFL (so using another dealer for transfer isn't an option.) I have heard it may be ok if done while you wait, but I'm not sure on that one. I've thought of setting up a mobile gunsmithing center in a van that would do that IF it was legit. Would need to get the van first.

It was just a crazy idea that's crossed my mind a few times. When adding up the costs of time and fuel, sending to a licensed smith has its advantages.

BTW, I do believe you can send your gun to a licensed smith and he can send it back to you directly. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Pretty sure you are correct on that one. The gent who got that Mini-14 stock i was selling told me he can durakote anything i send him, shipping directly to him and back to me since he is FFL01.

I guess that is hearsay, but it fits what i have been told anyway.

It was just a crazy idea that's crossed my mind a few times. When adding up the costs of time and fuel, sending to a licensed smith has its advantages.

BTW, I do believe you can send your gun to a licensed smith and he can send it back to you directly. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Pretty sure you are correct on that one. The gent who got that Mini-14 stock i was selling told me he can durakote anything i send him, shipping directly to him and back to me since he is FFL01.

I guess that is hearsay, but it fits what i have been told anyway.

My father-in-law had a pistol refinished out in AZ. Must be legal, that's the guy's business. Also Springfield allows you to ship to them as well as they ship back to you. Never thought about that...

Guest aubie515

You can ship a firearm directly to the manufacturer IE a warranty repair. Once the work is completed, the company can ship the weapon directly back to you. I experienced this first hand, so I know that it is legal.

The whole gunsmithing while you wait is true. If the gunsmith is licensed the individual can ship him/her the weapon to be worked on...and the gunsmith would ship back the item to the owner of the weapon.

I hope no one thinks that I was being negative towards dinzag or cobra....they both have solid reputations.

I have spent over $400 in shipping and transfers in the last month, so I didn't want to go through all that again for this rifle. Please don't flame me for my next comment. This Saiga would only be a fun gun...I have other toys that I would use before I'd reach for my Saiga, BUT I have heard nothing but good reports about the Saiga rifle. I just don't know if I want to spend the money to convert it, or just sell it to someone that will truly appreciate this rifle. The Saiga sounds like a fine weapon. I wanted to thank everyone that responded to my thread. This is a great forum you guys have here.

Dinzag and Cobra, pleasea accept my apology...I did not intend to come across as being negative.