Galil orlites. . .WTF?????

OK, guys. I have read more tha a few posts from guys that claim to be able to make CDNN Israeli 35 rd. Orlite mags to work in the Saiga .223. I just got them, and I filed the front to where the mag locked up, BUT. . .the bullets are too low and far forward. The cases are not even close to being able to be strippped by the bolt. So. . .WTF???? I am pretty damned handy, as my posts and pics in this and other Saiga threads will testify, BUT What am I missing?

HELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!

Thanks guys.

OK, guys. I have read more tha a few posts from guys that claim to be able to make CDNN Israeli 35 rd. Orlite mags to work in the Saiga .223. I just got them, and I filed the front to where the mag locked up, BUT. . .the bullets are too low and far forward. The cases are not even close to being able to be strippped by the bolt. So. . .WTF???? I am pretty damned handy, as my posts and pics in this and other Saiga threads will testify, BUT What am I missing?

HELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!

Thanks guys.

Okay, your going to have to do a little sanding on the front sides, I have some guests over tonight but in the morning I'll post some pictures, I really need to give the Orlites a functional test. BTW I ordered the cheap used ones incase I could not get it to work. Do you have any dummy .223? I also have one of Dinzag's bullet guides,

In addition to the front work, we ground away at the inside of the feed lips to get them to pop up a little higher. I still don't have them functioning in my gun, but my buddy's gun it worked pretty good. We had some fail to load with his. More tweaking is in order. I prefer the AK-74 mags.

In addition to the front work, we ground away at the inside of the feed lips to get them to pop up a little higher. I still don't have them functioning in my gun, but my buddy's gun it worked pretty good. We had some fail to load with his. More tweaking is in order. I prefer the AK-74 mags.

I have the Bulgy .223 feed ramp installed. I sanded the very front of the mag's ridges and the mag locked up quick enough, but I have modded every known 5.45 x 39 mag in existence, and I can't see any way these will work. The bolt glides WAY high over the rounds. The bullet points are actually UNDER my Bulgy bullet guide. I must be missing something major here.

I have the Bulgy .223 feed ramp installed. I sanded the very front of the mag's ridges and the mag locked up quick enough, but I have modded every known 5.45 x 39 mag in existence, and I can't see any way these will work. The bolt glides WAY high over the rounds. The bullet points are actually UNDER my Bulgy bullet guide. I must be missing something major here.

Genghis Khan has a sticky in the russian section at arfcom. He reports good sucess

with a properly tweaked bullet guide.You may want to post or PM him,he is responsive and

helpful.Others have made positive reports.

Good luck and please share what you learn.

My buddy's Hesse gun came with one but it didn't work. We had to grind on the top of the rear catch but the key is to remove material from the inside of the bottom of the feedlips (major PITA!). The bolt will then catch. His will now strip & feed most rounds. His bullet guide was welded in but didn't work so we piled up weld and re-ground. His also has a large ramp ground into the chamber face.

With mine it rides over the rounds or drags one forward but then it will catch and the bolt slips over.

I don't think the galils are worth the trouble and agree the 5.45x39 mags are the way to go.

(plus I have 12 of them) :smoke:

My Saiga .223 conversion works with Galil Orlites just fine. I had to make my own bullet guide though. My bullet guide extends a small amount past the trunnion and over the lip of the mag a small amount. Just leave enough room to clear the bullets in the mag. I also had to bevel the area below the chamber some. I did this with a Dremel tool. Grind a little then test by hand feeding a bullet into the chamber (push bolt carrier and bolt slowly forward). When they feed..stop. Then you must grind a small portion on both sides of the Galil mags. I use a Dremel tool with sander on it. My rifle fires FMJ with no problems.. I did have one hollowpoint fail to feed.

Saiga223.jpg

My Saiga .223 conversion works with Galil Orlites just fine. I had to make my own bullet guide though. My bullet guide extends a small amount past the trunnion and over the lip of the mag a small amount. Just leave enough room to clear the bullets in the mag. I also had to bevel the area below the chamber some. I did this with a Dremel tool. Grind a little then test by hand feeding a bullet into the chamber (push bolt carrier and bolt slowly forward). When they feed..stop. Then you must grind a small portion on both sides of the Galil mags. I use a Dremel tool with sander on it. My rifle fires FMJ with no problems.. I did have one hollowpoint fail to feed.

Saiga223.jpg

What he says is true as true can be, if the bullet guide sits over the mag

just pass the trunion it will lift the round up by the case and feed into chamber

I may ad that if thicker pipe or metal is use just enough to clear the bottom

of bolt and right angle of bevel, the bullet will go right in with out any grinding

on the mouth of chamber, how I know it, well Wasted like 7 home made bullet guides

in the quest for the multi feed for orlites, Saiga and Bulgarians mags, well if I have to go

with only one mag, I think I wll go with the bulgarians

Just my 2 cents.

By the way bro, that gun looks sexy with the galil mag on, but not as the

bitches on this http://www.metaldrone.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=491

Edited by vjor