hi, its been a while,

anhow does anyone have any experience builting into thier house a secret room or vault for a gun stash ?

is there any websites out there for this sort of thing ? im building an addition on my house and wondered about adding a small secret room for a gun room/stash. and was wondering how best to go about it

thanks, cheers

the ones Ive built were built as safe rooms, and were literally concrete vaults, including the plate steel ceiling with ten inches of concrete on top of it. your cheapest way of doing this in a smaller size, (I assume you dont want to get into reinforced concrete forms and casting it) is with ten or twelve inch wide concrete block, filled solid with reinforced concrete and rebar. the easiest way to do the ceiling is to tie it into the steel of the walls, and put plate steel over the top and pour another ten inches of concrete with metal rebar suspended in it. you install a type of door bobash suggested above, using drilled and epoxied grommetts embedded in the concrete, or by having the door FIRST and knowing where you need to sink anchor bolts into the doorway. obviously, the floor is thick concrete as well, also tied into the wall rebar. its a lot of work for someone not used to doing this type of work, but it pays off. your slab and first course of block are CRITICAL to get the thing straight. you have a LITTLE forgiveness in the seven or eight feet of block layed above it, but not much. that first coursing is critical to getting the thing straight, and getting the doorway plum.

we also had discussed in the past, here, about various ways to hide a protection firearm in your wall, or other area of your house.

people used to do this a lot back in the early part of the 20th century and back, and during different construction renovations, I have found several of these hiding spots in walls, and they get more common the older the house is. the oldest one I found was in a house built around 1700, which was used to store jewelry and cash, and was found in the mantle area of the main living room area. You really should NOT attempt to make a furniture or moulding stash unless you are highly skilled in carpentry, and do not plan to access it over and over again in short periods of time. you will have everyone and your mother asking you why that section of the crown moulding looks worn, and the rest doesnt. your best bet is a false wall, if you are going this route, with paneling in the next room that removes to show the door to the area. you have to be pretty creative to figure out how to conceal it so it isnt a simple matter of pulling out your hutch to get to the door. if you have a large stash of firearms or other valuables, and a criminal knows this before entering your home, they will either make you show them where it is, if you are unluckily home, or they will just tear your house apart to find it.

this question has come up enough here, that I will be sure to document and photograph the next one that I do, although I dont know when that will be.

you will be using quite a lot of steel, and you MIGHT be able to get away with bags of premixed concrete if you are only making a small thing, but keep in mind one bag of quickcrete only does one cubic foot. which aint much. filling the block COMPLETELY is critical to securing your investment. you should also think about sealing the outside of it once it has cured for a month or two, to keep water from penetrating.

These are the best- Link to Vault Doors

But kinda spendy. You could always fabricate your own, or use a commercial steel door/steel jamb.

This is a good idea for folks that have many, many guns...cheaper than buying several safes, and more fun.

well i'd like to get around the spendy part by building it ma self .. im not so intrested in steel doors as much as im into looking into building in a small niche or stash .. i have many guns and lots of ammo and i dont want anyone "unauthorized" to get ahold of them ,

cheers

the ones Ive built were built as safe rooms, and were literally concrete vaults, including the plate steel ceiling with ten inches of concrete on top of it. your cheapest way of doing this in a smaller size, (I assume you dont want to get into reinforced concrete forms and casting it) is with ten or twelve inch wide concrete block, filled solid with reinforced concrete and rebar. the easiest way to do the ceiling is to tie it into the steel of the walls, and put plate steel over the top and pour another ten inches of concrete with metal rebar suspended in it. you install a type of door bobash suggested above, using drilled and epoxied grommetts embedded in the concrete, or by having the door FIRST and knowing where you need to sink anchor bolts into the doorway. obviously, the floor is thick concrete as well, also tied into the wall rebar. its a lot of work for someone not used to doing this type of work, but it pays off. your slab and first course of block are CRITICAL to get the thing straight. you have a LITTLE forgiveness in the seven or eight feet of block layed above it, but not much. that first coursing is critical to getting the thing straight, and getting the doorway plum.

we also had discussed in the past, here, about various ways to hide a protection firearm in your wall, or other area of your house.

people used to do this a lot back in the early part of the 20th century and back, and during different construction renovations, I have found several of these hiding spots in walls, and they get more common the older the house is. the oldest one I found was in a house built around 1700, which was used to store jewelry and cash, and was found in the mantle area of the main living room area. You really should NOT attempt to make a furniture or moulding stash unless you are highly skilled in carpentry, and do not plan to access it over and over again in short periods of time. you will have everyone and your mother asking you why that section of the crown moulding looks worn, and the rest doesnt. your best bet is a false wall, if you are going this route, with paneling in the next room that removes to show the door to the area. you have to be pretty creative to figure out how to conceal it so it isnt a simple matter of pulling out your hutch to get to the door. if you have a large stash of firearms or other valuables, and a criminal knows this before entering your home, they will either make you show them where it is, if you are unluckily home, or they will just tear your house apart to find it.

this question has come up enough here, that I will be sure to document and photograph the next one that I do, although I dont know when that will be.

you will be using quite a lot of steel, and you MIGHT be able to get away with bags of premixed concrete if you are only making a small thing, but keep in mind one bag of quickcrete only does one cubic foot. which aint much. filling the block COMPLETELY is critical to securing your investment. you should also think about sealing the outside of it once it has cured for a month or two, to keep water from penetrating.

yeah thats the stuff, the stash behind mantle kind of thing.. i built a new bedroom and into the floor in the closet i built a stash.. how i did it was i built a box between the floor joists and trap door .. so to access it i just pull back the carpet and open the lid... but it was a bit rough, and im looking for plans for other ideas..

but that the basic idea.. because as i remodel my 60's model house i plan to build stashes in nearly every room of different sizes and locations..

crazy huh ?, cheers

Get big PVC pipe, put cap on one end and glue joint to female thread on the other. Seal the end with a cleanout plug. Put as many of these through the basement wall as you want. attach panelling over it with cabinet hardware type magnetic latches.

Bury a sea container pour your driveway on top of it.

If there is space behind the refridgerator make a closet that cannot be accesed without moving the fridge. Just make the door smaller than the fridge so it cannot be seen with the fridge in place.

How about a fake furnace duct, or even a fake water heater complete with pipes going into a wall and fake electric hook-up!

275 gallon oil tank-fake with door on backside.

If the house is to be on a slab or crawlspace, put in a room that is on a foundation and made like Bvamp said, an alternative to a vault door is a frame made from C channel and a door made out of 1/4 " diamond plate bolted to 2 sheets of 3/8 exterior plywood, sandwich a 1X8 around the perimiter of the plywood, and a 1X6 X in the middle. Bolt it all together with 3/8 carriage bolts that have the heads on the outside (diamondplate) side. 6 deadbolt locks three on a side, and damn few people will be able to get in.

Any custom furniture can have hidden compartments, especially spaces behind bookshelves.