16" 308 - range report

I took my new 16" Saiga to the range yesterday to break it in. I bought it for use as a short barrel CQB rifle. Rather than puting a holographic sight (EOTECH) on that would be more practical I tested it with a factory Russian scope mount and a Tasco 1x to 4.5X with heavy duplex transitioning to fine cross hairs in a center circle. It is basically a turkey hunting shotgun scope made to withstand heavy recoil. SA '81 ammo was used. Very light breeze blowing a bit right to left. I zeroed the scope on 25 yard range and a bit of barrel break in cleaning after each shot - I shot two groups of 3 shots from cool clean barrel - all rounds went through the "center" of the target - you could cover the hole with a quarter and get change back. I then took the scope off and then put it back on to test the returnability to POI. I shot 3 again and they were in the "same" place in the center of the target - one big hole. I moved to 100 yard yard range. I used a target with a 3 inch peel and stick center to increase visability and best utilize the scopes features. If you were in an antipersonnel CQB situation you would place the center circle on target and not worry about lining up the fine crosshairs. After rezeroing the scope at 100 - it was very high - I fired 2 groups of 5 shots - resulting in 2 and 2 1/2 MOA accuracy with SA ammo and turkey scope. I would probably rezero this combination for 75 yards as the rifle would shoot pretty high at mid ranges. Muzzle blast is more than the long barrel Saiga 308 - similar to a Mosin M44 that you feel and hear but not uncomfortable to the shooter - however anyone in 2 or 3 lanes next to you would probably leave or smack you with empty shell cases. This was a new rifle and it fired all rounds without a problem. IMO the Chrome barrel made it a waste of time spending more time "breaking it in" more throughly.

Edited by 24kshooter
Correct. No need to break in a chrome barrel.

Yeah, but you still want to break in the chamber if it isn't chromed (sometimes barrel is, but chamber is not...at least in ARs).

Good report. Good accuracy as expected out of this rifle. No sniper rifle but still very good for an AK style gun.

For zero, I typically do a 200 yard. This lets me be within 2.5" from 0 to 220 yards. This is about the equivalent of a 40yd. zero.

With your 25, you were about 5" high?

Thanks for the info. I am doing the same thing this Sunday wih my new 16", just open sights for now but I plan to add a similar scope for "CQB Deer hunting" to 200+ yards.

I have a feeling this will be a great gun for how I plan to use it.