Decided to take the plunge.

I have studied all the tutorials, and I think I can hack it.

I need some help selecting parts. I need the easiest to fit parts, so please advise me if I am making work for myself. This is what I have come up with, all from tapco.

1: AK G2 Double Hook FCG & Locking Plate

2: AK/MAK Full Length Gas Piston

3: AK Galil Style Handguard with Tactical Rails

4: AK T6 Collapsible Stock, Black

5: AK SAW Style Pistol Grip, Black

Questions:

1) Do I need a single or double hook trigger or does it matter? Will one be as easy as the other to put in?

2) Do I have a milled or stamped reciever (when it comes to selecting stocks)

3) Am I forgetting anything?

Edited by Vermiform

sounds like you got a good setup, but with the changes you are making, you dont really need to change out the gas piston to be compliant, unless you just want to

I htink you will really like the combination on the saw grip and the T-6. Thats what i use and i love em!

One more thing, might wanna go down to lowes/homedepot and get some nylon hole plugs to fill in the holes left over from drilling out the two rivets on the side of the rec. (not essential, mainly just cosmetic)

Have you decided to re use the factory trigger guard?

Have you decided to re use the factory trigger guard?

Might as well, that doesn't look to hard to do. Just dremmel and clean it up with a grinder.

Im more worried about the square nut hole than anything. Doesn't look like mine has one, but I can't be sure till I start.

The Tapco SAW grip comes with the screw, but you will need the grip screw nut. The screw for this grip is a short one, about an inch long. Also get yourself one of the pin locking plates the sell for about 12 bucks. This way you don't need to screw around with those binding posts in the back holes (I sure wish I had gone this way!) Good luck!

PS: Use a flashlight5 to get a REALLY good look into the receiver, and I'll bet you'll spot that grip-nut hole.

The Tapco SAW grip comes with the screw, but you will need the grip screw nut. The screw for this grip is a short one, about an inch long.

I can't find the grip nut on their website. Any ideas?

Also get yourself one of the pin locking plates the sell for about 12 bucks. This way you don't need to screw around with those binding posts in the back holes (I sure wish I had gone this way!) Good luck!

This?

AK Retaining Plate

PS: Use a flashlight5 to get a REALLY good look into the receiver, and I'll bet you'll spot that grip-nut hole.

No luck, too much stuff in the way if it is actually there.

Nice avatar....

SOG Pentagon if i am not mistaken......looks very familiar to the one i have in my gun safe....

Yep, one of my favorites.

K-var, copes others will have the p-grip nut. Instead of the plate you can use e-clips for about $0.10 each. I used 2 per pin. That plate may work good. Do you have a BHO? Use a bread twisty tie stripped of the plastic to hold the spring in place while you line up the pin. Hope I didn't confuse you. The nut hole (wait what are we talking about.......sorry) may be the slot the trigger is in now??? Someone corect me if I'm wrong on this. This the way it seemed on the S-12.

Doug

Instead of trying to insert the shepherd's crook you can purchase e clips, I used 7/32 for my latest build. They were a lot easier to insert than trying to add the wire retainer.

As mentioned above, you'll also need a pistol grip nut. I had to get one for my conversion kit. I still haven't converted mine but I have all the parts including US compliance parts to convert my Saiga.

A friend who built a few AKs told me to avoid changing the gas piston if I can use other compliance parts because it's pinned in and changing it may affect rifle performance and because of the hassle to change it.