40mm Scope on low rise mount

I just received a low rise scope mount (Weaver rail) which centers perfectly on my Saiga .223. I was wondering if I would need to get higher rings for a 40mm scope to clear the sight. I'd kind of like to keep the scope as low as possible and high rings would seem to defeat that purpose. If faced with the choice I would probably go with a 32mm scope. Also, I plan to go after prarie dogs and coyotes with occasional paper shooting. Suggestions for a decent scope in the $150 range? Thanks from Wyoming.

You will have to try it to see if it will clear. You will need a scope that has long eye relief because of the length of the Saiga stock. I have shotgun scopes for mine as they have a 5 inch eye relief. This allows a good cheek weld. The mounts are set up for the Warsaw Pact length stock.

Edited by ironhead7544

There were some Winchester scopes selling for around $100 back a few months ago here and there. CDNN Investments had some.

Buddies got one for his 10/22 and I was actually impressed. A decent scope for the $....just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. I settled for a Weaver Classic V Series scope in 2-7x32. I knew for sure it would fit and it also had a bit extra eye relief when compared to the other scopes. From Midway for $140.00. I also got the Millett adjustable rings. Took it to the range with a small sack of questionable .223 I handloaded around 1980 and had never labled. The Millett rings were great. First group at 25 yards was completely off of the paper but with a little bit of fiddling with the rings I got everything centered up and never had to mess with the scopes windage at all. Moving out to a hundred yards I was consistently shooting 3-4 inch 5 shot groups. Doesn't sound as good as some of the posts I've read on this forum but considering the ammo I was using I'm happy with it for now. I picked up some Hornady Vmax 55 grain bullets and a pound of Varget powder which I will be messing around with to see if I can shrink the groups a bit. Agains - thanks for the input - this is a great forum!