Whats the best way to get small dents out of wood (C&R projects)

I just got the deal of a lifetime on a Venezuelan FN-49 and I'm fighting the urge hard not to restore it. The only problem was a missing upper handguard that I've ordered and will have to match to the gun. The wood is great but has a few small dings, it's so good I don't want to do the dish washer trick and I'm looking for ways to do spot repairs to raise a few small dings/dents and maybe a light coat of b.l.o.

Just looking for some ways to do something to this thing without fucking it up.

Edited by 6500rpm

Try spot-swelling with water or directed steam. Of course, you would have to degrease the area first.

It may discolor the area.

Thats a beaut, BTW. What was the price you consider "the deal of a lifetime"? Under 1k?

Edited by headshot

Headshot, this is no shit, I paid $100. One of my buddies at work has a retired neighabor that hits estate sales, yard sales, etc and picked up this and four other old guns for $160. When I heard the discription I knew it had to be a model 49, but didn't know the country of origin or condition, or what these things are going for now days. I bought it sight unseen. One of the first semi's I shot was an Egyptian that one of my friends owned, always wanted one, now I have one. The mechanic in me is dying to give it a fresh coat of MolyResin, but after hitting some of the C&R boards I don't think it would be wise. Just want to make it as nice as possible and shoot it some. It's kind of like having a muscle car with a scratch and being told to leave it alone, leave it original, and not to drive it. Almost wish it was a beater so I wouldn't feel bad about fucking with it, but all the numbers match, field stripped it last nigh and was very clean inside and still had some cosmo, with a good barrel, and little to no wear on internals. This things going to be a trip.

go to a local guitar luthier and ask there. he should be able to direc tyou to how to do it, and may want to practice on your gun stock wood, so that he will get time in on old wood without taking on say, a 10k martin. it isnt just steaming, but invloved directed vacuuming. its a real pain in the arse.

otherwise, leave it.

I would leave it, from the pics.

Headshot, this is no shit, I paid $100. One of my buddies at work has a retired neighabor that hits estate sales, yard sales, etc and picked up this and four other old guns for $160. When I heard the discription I knew it had to be a model 49, but didn't know the country of origin or condition, or what these things are going for now days. I bought it sight unseen. One of the first semi's I shot was an Egyptian that one of my friends owned, always wanted one, now I have one. The mechanic in me is dying to give it a fresh coat of MolyResin, but after hitting some of the C&R boards I don't think it would be wise. Just want to make it as nice as possible and shoot it some. It's kind of like having a muscle car with a scratch and being told to leave it alone, leave it original, and not to drive it. Almost wish it was a beater so I wouldn't feel bad about fucking with it, but all the numbers match, field stripped it last nigh and was very clean inside and still had some cosmo, with a good barrel, and little to no wear on internals. This things going to be a trip.

Holy shit..........that is the deal of the millenium.

Don't mess with it. It looks like a real nice one you've got there.