New Saiga .410

I just got a saiga .410 with a 3" mag and a 2.5" mag (4rnd). The thing works great with 3" shot shells (that is all I can find in 3"). It works great with the 2.5" shot shells. It will jam with 2.5" slugs. failure to eject. soft end of spent shell hangs up on a spear part in there. It seems to have something to do with the way a slug shell is folded at the end. The gas selector is on #2, #1 is too soft. I compared a spent slug shell with a spent shot shell and the length of the open shells are a little different. The slug is about 1/8" shorter. Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Oct 10 2006, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you using the same mags for both shells, if you are using different mags, the mag may be fussy. Also has the gun had many rounds through it? Some are fussy untill "shot in".

For 3" shells I use the 3" mag and for the 2.5" shells I use the 2.5" mag. The 2.5" mag shoots shot shells great. The same 2.5" mag does not like slugs.

The 3" mag I can only find shot shells for it. It works great. I have never run 2.5" shells in the 3" mag. I would bet that the 3" would hang up with slugs though. I have run about 50 rounds through the gun.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(G O B @ Oct 10 2006, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Are you using the same mags for both shells, if you are using different mags, the mag may be fussy. Also has the gun had many rounds through it? Some are fussy untill "shot in".

For 3" shells I use the 3" mag and for the 2.5" shells I use the 2.5" mag. The 2.5" mag shoots shot shells great. The same 2.5" mag does not like slugs.

The 3" mag I can only find shot shells for it. It works great. I have never run 2.5" shells in the 3" mag. I would bet that the 3" would hang up with slugs though. I have run about 50 rounds through the gun.

Morning, Greatday --

Only time my Saiga had problems (okay, there were actually two times)... First time, it was because the gas piston had accumulated about 1/8" of crud on it and just didn't really want to move anymore. Cleaned it and keep it clean and no more FTEs or failure-to-feeds. Feeds, fires and ejects about any 3" shell -- whether shot or slug, Barnaul, Breneke or Remington -- with gleeful abandon.

The other time was when I bought two boxes of what were supposedly 3" shells but which turned out to be 3/16" shorter than they should have been.

Mine is an older S-.410, so I don't have the variable setting for the gas, so I can't say one way or the other about whether that feature is what is giving you fits.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(G O B @ Oct 10 2006, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Morning, Greatday --

Only time my Saiga had problems (okay, there were actually two times)... First time, it was because the gas piston had accumulated about 1/8" of crud on it and just didn't really want to move anymore. Cleaned it and keep it clean and no more FTEs or failure-to-feeds. Feeds, fires and ejects about any 3" shell -- whether shot or slug, Barnaul, Breneke or Remington -- with gleeful abandon.

The other time was when I bought two boxes of what were supposedly 3" shells but which turned out to be 3/16" shorter than they should have been.

Mine is an older S-.410, so I don't have the variable setting for the gas, so I can't say one way or the other about whether that feature is what is giving you fits.

Errr. I thought you wern't supposed to shoot slugs out of a Saiga .410. Is this wrong?

Oh ya, sorry for the double post. :ded:

Errr. I thought you wern't supposed to shoot slugs out of a Saiga .410. Is this wrong?

While I wouldn't shoot slugs while the full choke is on the barrel, the Saiga is designed with slugs in mind. In Russia professional/market hunters will use the Saiga .410 to take deer. With improved sights like mine has it can keep all 8 shots out of 8 (two mags) on a full-size silouette at a measured 200 yards. I should also add that it wasn't me with my older eyes who did that but Cobra when he test-fired my .410 and, no, I'm not advocating using .410 slugs on deer at that distance since the slugs would lack adequate knock-down power at that range. Just saying that the Saiga .410 will digest slugs like the champ that it is.

Accuracy and reliability are good (with mine, anyway) using steel-cased Barnaul ammo but accuaray is just a slight bit (but noticably) better with the German-made Brenneke slugs.

While I wouldn't shoot slugs while the full choke is on the barrel, the Saiga is designed with slugs in mind. In Russia professional/market hunters will use the Saiga .410 to take deer. With improved sights like mine has it can keep all 8 shots out of 8 (two mags) on a full-size silouette at a measured 200 yards. I should also add that it wasn't me with my older eyes who did that but Cobra when he test-fired my .410 and, no, I'm not advocating using .410 slugs on deer at that distance since the slugs would lack adequate knock-down power at that range. Just saying that the Saiga .410 will digest slugs like the champ that it is.

Accuracy and reliability are good (with mine, anyway) using steel-cased Barnaul ammo but accuaray is just a slight bit (but noticably) better with the German-made Brenneke slugs.

O.K, I took the gun apart and the pistion was clean. I used brake cleaner on it and re-oiled all moving parts. The slugs I am using are winchester brand (wal-mart). The gun has no choke, only thread protecter. I bought some buck shot I am going to try, the end of the shell looks just like the slug. Maybe its the brand (winchester)? I will look for some remington slugs.

I went out in the yard to day and did some more testing. I ran some 000 2.5" winchester buck shot through the .410 and it worked great. Fast as you could pull the trigger it would load and fire. I like to give it the acid test you know. I tried the 2.5" slug, as if I was going to "double tap" something and it jammed. BUT if I slow down a bit it seemed to work fine (ran out of slugs) So, for some reason it cycles slowly with slugs. Over all I am happy with the gun. The recoil and report are minimal and the Wife can handle it fine. Great home defence weapon.

I went out in the yard to day and did some more testing. I ran some 000 2.5" winchester buck shot through the .410 and it worked great. Fast as you could pull the trigger it would load and fire. I like to give it the acid test you know. I tried the 2.5" slug, as if I was going to "double tap" something and it jammed. BUT if I slow down a bit it seemed to work fine (ran out of slugs) So, for some reason it cycles slowly with slugs. Over all I am happy with the gun. The recoil and report are minimal and the Wife can handle it fine. Great home defence weapon.

Yours work well with 2 1/2" shells but not 3"? Mine won't -- insists on 3". Wonder why yours will not work with 3"? If your mag will accept 3" shells you apparently have a 3" shell mag but those generally seem to malfunction with shorter rounds.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Yours work well with 2 1/2" shells but not 3"? Mine won't -- insists on 3". Wonder why yours will not work with 3"? If your mag will accept 3" shells you apparently have a 3" shell mag but those generally seem to malfunction with shorter rounds.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Let me explain, I have a 3" mag AND a 2.5" mag. Around here 2.5" ammo is more popular on the shelf and you can get slugs and buckshot in 2.5" off the shelf, in other words, there is much more variety of 2.5" ammo. If I can find 3" ammo it is #6 or maby #7. The 3" shot shells work great, fantastic. The 2.5" shot shells work great, fantastic. The 2.5 " 000 buchshot work great, fantastic. The 2.5" slugs cause problems in a rapid fire situation. I do not know how 3" BUCK or SLUGS work 'cause I can't find it.

Edited by Greatday