I want to convert my new .308

OK, got me a .308 Saiga yesterday.

I want to convert it so I can open up my options for a stock. I have already successfully converted a 7.62x39 Saiga. What am I in for on this .308?

1) What is different?

2) Will the same Tapco FCG that I used on my 7.62x39 workon this one?

3) Will the same retaining plate from Tapco work?

4) Do they usually have a PG nut hole cut? (my x39 didn't)

5) Has anyone put a Ultimak Optics mount on a .308?

6) Can I still get in on the FBMG pre-order?

7) What have I not asked that I need to know?

The .308 is the easiest so I've heard. I convereted my .308 and other than drillin the shit it wasn't hard. On mine the p-grip nut hole was there.......I think it was where the trigger was actually. You don't have to drill out the 2 trigger pins.

The hammer will need to be reshaped like the original.......or use the original but then your down a part if your counting.

Idon't know about the plate but I put two e-clips on each pin. Cost about a buck or less.

I think your SOL on the pre-order.

Do you have a BHO and do you know the twisty tie trick? If that isn't in the tech section it should be.

You may have some issues with the selector (safety) switch and have to grind part of the hammer to clear a crossbar.

Do some more searching and asking. I'm sure more will be able to add to this and give you more details if you need it. If you did the other you'll figure this one out. I got my 12 gutted and once I drill the pgrip nut and paint I'll be golden.

Later,

Doug

Edited by doug01

Where is the "tech section"?

I don't want to repeat all the same questions over and over, as I'm sure these conversions have been covered numerous times.

I have a G2 trigger group that I was holding for my latest Romy AK build, along with a U.S. Pistol Grip and a cheapo Tapco side folder. I plan to order a new poly butt-stock from K-VAR to replace the folder, which I use with the little Romy carbines.

My biggest question is with the trigger guard (the rest is gravy). Do most conversions use the S-308 trigger guard? Or do you use a standard AK trigger guard and mag catch combo?

Where is the "tech section"?

I don't want to repeat all the same questions over and over, as I'm sure these conversions have been covered numerous times.

I have a G2 trigger group that I was holding for my latest Romy AK build, along with a U.S. Pistol Grip and a cheapo Tapco side folder. I plan to order a new poly butt-stock from K-VAR to replace the folder, which I use with the little Romy carbines.

My biggest question is with the trigger guard (the rest is gravy). Do most conversions use the S-308 trigger guard? Or do you use a standard AK trigger guard and mag catch combo?

Tech Section

But there is very little info there on .308

Anyone have any good links for converting the Saiga .308?