Tricky Reciever Cover

I just took my 7.62X39 Saiga home from the gun shop today. I lost my pre-ban Poly-Tech Legend Series milled AK-47S in a burglary. The Saiga is a replacement and it looks like a great gun. However, I am having trouble getting the darned reciever cover off, in fact it won't come off at all. Should I take a screwdriver or hammer to it? Should a shoot a few hundred rounds in the hope it will loosen up, or do I need a gunsmith?

i'm not a professional, but i would say take a rubber mallet and hit the recoil spring "button" firmly and see if it moves, i bet it does.

i had this prob on a romy build i did, but it was because the rear trunnion was a bit beat. Is your rifle used?

The button goes in but appearently not far enough because the reciever cover dosen't budge at all. Not a millimeter.

Man, what bad luck with guns this week! I buy my first two new long arms in four years and they both have big problems. Earlier, I bought a Henry .22 lever action and I find the rear sight is radically crooked. Then I buy a copy of the most relaible weapon system ever devised and the reciever cover is worthless and the weapon can't be field stripped.

This is a story of two idiots, one in Izmasch (sic) Russia and one in Brooklyn, NY, who could have found the major defects in these rifles if they had taken 60 seconds to look them over before they left the factory.

Thanks for being helpful 44rdv4rk!

The button goes in but appearently not far enough because the reciever cover dosen't budge at all. Not a millimeter.

Man, what bad luck with guns this week! I buy my first two new long arms in four years and they both have big problems. Earlier, I bought a Henry .22 lever action and I find the rear sight is radically crooked. Then I buy a copy of the most relaible weapon system ever devised and the reciever cover is worthless and the weapon can't be field stripped.

This is a story of two idiots, one in Izmasch (sic) Russia and one in Brooklyn, NY, who could have found the major defects in these rifles if they had taken 60 seconds to look them over before they left the factory.

Thanks for being helpful 44rdv4rk!

I couldn't get mine off at first. Ashamed to say I cautiously used a screw driver the first time. She losened up alot after a few weeks of playing.

If your bolt is in the forward position and the recoil spring button wont push in all the way then it probably is the groove in the rear trunnion bashed at the end. This is why I run buffers in all my AKs. You should see what happens to an S-12 after only a few boxes of magnum loads shot on the wrong gas setting.

Take a hammer and a wooden dowell that will fit thru the hole and knock it in til it releases. then you can dress the grooves with a small triangular file and be in business.

Might spray some WD 40 in there too, that never hurts.

to take it off have to push the recoil spring all the way in and pull

in the back of the cover really hard by hand.

Tried that yesterday. I have a blood blister on my thumb now. I think your suggestion about firing a couple of hundred rounds through it might be a good thing to do to loosen it up. Thanks!

Gentlemen, could it be that the takeown button on the reciever on my rifle has been installed upside down? As I look at it, the button, the way it is installed, cannot go all the way in. Is it designed to go all the way in or is a tenth of an inch supposed to stick out? Anyone happen to have a close up picture of the reciever button properly installed.

It does not go all the way into cover, look at pictures.

See the back of the cover; well pull up on it as you push the button in

is not a way in hell that the recoil spring button is upside down, just

your cover is really tight like I say before. you can try with a little

wood stub, push in the bottom lip of the cover up, as you push the button

in, if I was you I will not try screw driver or hammer, why because you are going

to fubar the cover.

Edited by vjor

On my S-12, the cover became impossible to open , after working just fine forever. The problem was that the turtleback part of the cover-the part that slants back to make the rear of the reciever was dented in. At first I couldn't see it wes bent, but the springperch would not go far enough forward. I was able to use the little blade of my redcross penknife to pry it back and get it off. A good whack to the inside with a 6oz ball peen and all was good.