Just ordered a Saiga 12

I just ordered a Saiga 12 from a local dealer (only place I could find to buy one locally, and cheaper than most FFL's I could find)

it has a 19inch barrel, and open choke... he said that it didn't have choke tubes, is there any way that I can modify it to accept tubes?

also, on a side-note I would like to put the 'bolt hold open' to the gun, what all is required to do this, and does it hold open on empty mag?

thanx in advance yall... really appreciate it

Josh

You can get a set of external chokes that screw onto the barrel, one full and one a half choke. The newer Saigas come already with a BHO but not the LRBHO. Check the tech section under the Guest Book and see Jeric for his LRBHO that is available if that's what you want as a mod. :smoke:

Welome, Buff.

The best way suggested by others in the forum to take the choke tubes is to find a competent gunsmith who can thread the barrel to take the tubes.

As for the bolt hold open, if you are getting a new manufactured shotgun, it should come with a manual bolt hold open already installed. It won't hold open on the last round though.

In addition, if you are using the factory manufactured mags, you can't put the mag in with the bolt closed. The new 10 round mags being produced by AGP are supposed to load with the bolt closed but I haven't been able to get ahold of one myself to confirm it, but considering who has said it, I believe it.

Hope this helps. Look around the forum some and you can probably find more detailed answers.

Welome, Buff.

The best way suggested by others in the forum to take the choke tubes is to find a competent gunsmith who can thread the barrel to take the tubes.

As for the bolt hold open, if you are getting a new manufactured shotgun, it should come with a manual bolt hold open already installed. It won't hold open on the last round though.

In addition, if you are using the factory manufactured mags, you can't put the mag in with the bolt closed. The new 10 round mags being produced by AGP are supposed to load with the bolt closed but I haven't been able to get ahold of one myself to confirm it, but considering who has said it, I believe it.

Hope this helps. Look around the forum some and you can probably find more detailed answers.

I CAN get all my mags (fully loaded 2, 5 and 8 rounders) in with the bolt closed...

thats the info I was needing..... thanx guys....

I've been reading ALOT the past few days.... but been checkin in for a few weeks now.... (almost got busted at work for readin so much today)

to my knowledge from what the salesman told me, it is a new in box gun with a 5rd mag, and they can't get any more mags for awhile due to shortages.....

I'd be perfectly happy with 2-3 more 5rounders till the price of the 10 rounders come down

my best friend is a machinist, so I didn't know if we would be able to thread the barrel or not... gunsmiths around here are EXPENSIVE from what I have heard.....

Welome, Buff.

I CAN get all my mags (fully loaded 2, 5 and 8 rounders) in with the bolt closed...

Really. Do you have to shove it in hard? I can't even get the 5 rounder that came with mine to seat when it is loaed all the way. From what I had read in other threads, I thought it was normal

to my knowledge from what the salesman told me, it is a new in box gun with a 5rd mag, and they can't get any more mags for awhile due to shortages.....

I'd be perfectly happy with 2-3 more 5rounders till the price of the 10 rounders come down

If you look around you can find the 5 rounders. Just don't buy them off an auction site. People get crazy on what they are willing to pay:

Try Gilbertsguns.com, fbmginc.com, and rusmilitary.com for starters. Also, just try a Google search and you might get lucky and find some more people selling them now.

Really. Do you have to shove it in hard? I can't even get the 5 rounder that came with mine to seat when it is loaed all the way. From what I had read in other threads, I thought it was normal

Just practice a bit. You need to position the top shell in there just right as you are rockin' and lockin'.

Do you only have the one 5 rounder to try with?

Edited by micah360

I sent my Saiga to Briley to have Chokes put in not to bad on price and the turn around time was also good had some 10 round mags made out of 5 rounders and put a JP dot site on it and to be done let Tony do his Thing's that he does and had a leg mag holde made for the 10 rounder's and I'M HAPPPPPPPYYYYYYYYY :haha:

I just ordered a Saiga 12 from a local dealer (only place I could find to buy one locally, and cheaper than most FFL's I could find)

it has a 19inch barrel, and open choke... he said that it didn't have choke tubes, is there any way that I can modify it to accept tubes?

also, on a side-note I would like to put the 'bolt hold open' to the gun, what all is required to do this, and does it hold open on empty mag?

Josh

Edited by mark78410

Josh

Hi welcome

does the gun have an external thread ( it should) then all you need is a full choke and maybe a medium choke , then also you can get some sort of muzzle brake for it .

also when you get it practice inseting the mag with one or two rounds in it and then full

after a couple of goes its really easy , the BHO is only really for showing people the gun is unloaded

and spend all your money on rounds before you start mods

:smoke:

yea, there will be some rounds goin through it soon after I get it.....

for example, it comes in Wed, I will be at the range Thurs, if it comes in Fri, I will be at the range Sat..... see how that works so well?? LOL

I'm gonna try to shoot both clays and some slugs in it, just to see how I like it before doing anything else to it... but I know I want the LRBHO to put on it FOR SURE..... just a matter of time, and once I see how the barrel is done, I will either be buying some choke tubes, or making it able to accept them.....

I noticed that I can't really get much through the site's online store anymore, are there any other good dealers that I can get buffers and recoil pads from?