Share pic of your .308

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

crowak, got your EM. Nice work on the stock. Kind of a pain in rear and takes a LOT of time and patience but it's worth the effort.

Toolx, each stock takes about forty hours to complete, a long time I know but I am a perfectionist. As you may know, I'm looking for a mfg to produce all four designs. I've met with a few here in AZ and to get them to keep my cost down so the consumer cost is around 60.00 to 70.00 shipped is the big stumbling block. Here is the latest design.

Sport_Tac_1.jpg

Rosewood? Man, that is beautiful. Keep working on hooking us up with affordable manufactured versions of your creations. Surely a mold could be made off your wood carving and something poly made up and mass produced in that shape?

macx, The wood is Birch. I try and pick the pieces that have interesting grain qualities. It's somewhat easy to make master molds or CNC the stocks but finding a company to do it and work with you without breaking your bank account is the tough part. I'm pretty sure the stocks would be marketable for a reasonable cost of say 60 to 70 bucks shipped, maybe less if the mfg. cost was low enough. Most mfg. want 12 to 18 thousand for set up and production, and I'm not in a position to gamble that much. I've had three businesses and am now retired, or so I thought. Sorry for sounding so negative.......I'm not throwing in the towel just yet on the production of the stocks. Thanks everyone for the compliments and interest in the stocks.

Edited by F4D

Yeah.. that's a wicked stock.

I'm not made of money..(yet..).. But, I would buy one when I had a little extra money.

Is it comfortable? How does it compare to other stocks you've tried? How much weight does it add to the rifle?

The part that goes on the barrel makes the rifle look like a baddddd sniper rifle. :P

Err.. you made the silver and green stocks too? Or.. you bought those?

I like the wood one.. Obviously I would stain it to blend into the darkness better. :P

Umm.. if you didn't make the silver and green one.. where do you buy those?

Edited by prophageus

I made the silver and the green one. The green one actually changes from green to purple to blue and to dark gold with different intensities of light. Kinda weird but it was just an experiment in finishes. All the stocks are way more comfortable than the original plastic. Weight is a little more but it balances the rifle.

I notice someone said in another post that they used some.. umm.. I don't remember exactly.. rubber type spray or something.. (probably for a better grip on the rifle).. Umm.. would you coat the ones you made with this?? Or, they're good to go as they are?

Those two 'weird' ones look plastic.. they're wood? What wood?

Umm.. Maybe you could make a MOLD to sell to ppl? So they can make one out of umm.. synthetic.

I'm debating whether or not to modify my stock to a fake folding stock or some kind of stock like what you made. Do I want my rifle to look and feel like a sniper rifle or assault rifle. Hmm.. that is the question. What do you think is best?

I haven't even shot my rifle yet. So, I don't know about recoil and etc. Would one of those fake folding stocks be junk or what?

Basically I want my rifle to not stand out too much, I just want efficiency, ability to hide it in darkness/and or daytime/woods/desert.. and I want it to be light.. and durable.

Thanks ahead of time. :)

Edited by prophageus

prophageus, to answer your questions I'll start by saying that stock ergonomics to a shooter is a personal preference in regards to "LOOKS". It's the "FUNCTION" that is all important.

1. I think the bed liner spray is what you were thinking about. I haven't tried it yet but I will on a piece scrap wood. Might make a good grip finish for hunting in incliment weather.

2. All the stocks I've made are Birch wood. Birch is hard wood but on the softer side so it's much easier to contour.

3. On the mold to sell to people, don't even want to go there. Cost of mold and shipping??? Hassel of melting plastic material to pour into the mold.....priceless. Finishing the stock after the above.....AAAARGH!!

4. Recoil, what recoil? The Saiga 308 is a pussy cat. If you have the synthetic stock, changing it to a Saiga wood stock and forearm would be the way to go. It's very comfortable and weighs more, balancing the rifle a bit. It's inexpensive....about 40.00 or so. Look around on the net to get some prices. You cold also refinish it any way you like.

5. I've never really liked folding stocks. Unless you need to hide it in a trench coat or carry it on a Harley, or...............

Hope this answers your questions.

Yeah, it does.. I was already pretty much thinking what you said.. just wanted a little confirmation..

:) Thanks.

Can I fashion my own stock out of Birch using only a really sharp knife? Or do I need some fancy tools or what? You said it's soft.. but.. 'soft' could mean anything.. hehe. Depends on what you're using to contour it with.

Are self-made stocks legal? Are there guidelines you must follow.. or.. what? Thx.

Self made stocks are legal......it's the type of stock that may not be and deciphering the BATF regs is akin to enterpreting the Bible. Making or buying any type of stock that is not considered a" sporting stock" may or may not be legal. But then... if you replace at least 5 US parts on the Saiga it supposedly becomes legal.....maybe!!! US made Hand guard and stock=2. US gas piston=1. US trigger group, I think=3. And there you have enough US parts to be legal. Other peoples on the board know more than I do on this rancid subject of legalities.

Tools to make your own stocks. Having a neighbor that is a master wood worker is helpful........Feed him or her a case or two Guiness.

1. A huge quantity of patience

2. Wood, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 thick.

3. Drill and bits.....Sanding drums for the drill.

4. Belt sander

5. Vice with wood or rubber for protection of the stock.

6. Wood files and scrapers.

7. Tons of varius grades of sand paper.

8. Dremel tool and varius bits for cutting and shaping.

9. Wood chisels

10. An understanding wife.....if you are married...or lots of beer and a

lockable door from the inside to the shop.

11. And did I mention beer? The massive quantities of beer is for the moment you totaly screw up hours or days of work and are really afraid to go back in the house......if she hasn't locked you out!

12. The knife, sure why not. That's what was used for many moons. I prefer the electricity method myself though.

Tried to put a bit of dumb humor in this. Making your own stock is not that difficult, just tedius. crowak would agree and he made a very nice stock.

Regards, Jerry

Edited by F4D

I am totally down with making my own .. . except, the one part that makes me nervous is where the stock mates to the gun. The rest of the shaping is within my ability and the scope of the tools that I have on hand. Any tips on the joining of stock to gun?

macx, I'm working on another stock as we speak and I'll get some pictures of the method I have to shape the front of the stock that mates with the rifle. It's really simple but just takes some time to get it lined up for the proper fit.

1Veprguy- That is a VEPR isn't it? Did you combine your stock with the ACE pieces? It looks very good. How about a photo from the other side, also.

F4D- Perhaps instead of tooling up to turn out completed stocks, how about selling stock kits? The portion that fits into the receiver would be properly dimensioned. Bandsaw and pattern rout the rest of the outline. Leave the final contouring with rasps, sanpaper, Dremels, etc. to the customer. Leave the piece a little long so the customer can choose length of pull and buttpad. Stain and finish is their choice. Might be a viable market for your designs. Package a blank in Birch, a buttpad and instructional CD-ROM for $xx.xx. Add a half round rasp and sandpaper sheets for an additional $xx.xx. Top off the sales ticket with F4D's Genuine Stock Stain and Finish.

Sure is a VEPR. and you're right on the stock. It took a lot of staring at the rifle drinking beer, but ACE sent me the stock tubes and an old m-249 stock to stare at too and it turned out to be fairly easy. The big change I started out for was a better grip, longer stock and a higher cheek weld. It is really comfortable and there's nothing like having your face on a good wood stock. I can detail out anything anyone has a question on. All of it was relatively easy. I did the stock, made it take M-14 mags, ported the barrel and made an extented mag release, all without any tools much fancier than a drill press, and that was just a "nice to have".

Here's the other side....

post-6-1090084814.jpg

Edited by 1veprguy