Scope option, what do you guys think

I am looking at POSP 8x42 D what do you guys think or know of the quality as well as practicality aspects of it? Also I was thinking Nikon 3-9x40 Prostuff, ( can't decide yet whether I want the variable zoom or not). But anywyas what do you guys think about POSP 8x42 D quality wise as well as range shooting 50-200 yards, kind of all around use? :killer:

THanks

I've got it illuminated with the SVD mount on my Romak and like it alot. Mine came in the camo bag with the rubber eyepiece and Russian directions. Its easy to use and mounted solid. The built in sunshade is a neat feature too. The finish is nice with the speckled black and grey and the reticle, although more complicated than my other scopes, is fun to shoot with even though I have no use for it at my range.

Overall its an excelent scope with a much better finish than the older models, alot more power than the typical 4x model which I've used before, and frankly its better than the rifle it's mounted to ^_^

I've been reading a lot of posts about AK's with side rails and optics. Many complain that the accuracy with the optics is no better or even worse than with the iron sights!

I have a theory: the scopes that seem to have the most problems are big and heavy... and so when the rifle recoils, they tend to move more (having more mass, they don't want to move when the rifle fires and therefor place more stress on the mount) - and this causes the inaccuracy.

So, I would recommend a 4x PSO - they are lighter, illuminated, inexpensive and 4x is a more useful magnification for this rifle IMHO.

i have the pso 8x on mine. it shoots great. and it is calibrated for 762x54 whichis close enough to 308 that when i put it on it was dead on.. i use it with 168 bthp match loads that i use for everything. one thing though i dont use the rubber eye cup it stings when i shoot it so i just leave it off. cause i use left eye for right hand firing with optic...

• 3 weeks later...

I've also been thinking about getting a optic sight for my Saiga and 4x POSP is number one option. But then again, can I expect it working OK in stamped receiver .308 as Saiga is? Lighter-weight "western" optics cost way too much in my current situtation.

BTW, wich 4x24 POSP fits Saiga, T,V or M?

Edited by finlander

Hello

I went with IOR Valdada on mine. Heck, they're Romanian, that's close enough!

Couldn't compare them to the POSP, never viewed one. I guess I need to broaden my horizons...

Respectfully posted,

Guido2 in Houston

I wonder if the problems people have with the POSP scopes is improperly adjusted mounting hardware. You have to adjust the mount so that it keeps a good tension. It won't necessarily fit perfectly from the factory because of variation in the side rail on different types of AKs. If you follow the instructions for adjusting the mounts you should get good repeatable results even after removing the mount/scope and putting it back on.

I wonder if the problems people have with the POSP scopes is improperly adjusted mounting hardware. You have to adjust the mount so that it keeps a good tension. It won't necessarily fit perfectly from the factory because of variation in the side rail on different types of AKs. If you follow the instructions for adjusting the mounts you should get good repeatable results even after removing the mount/scope and putting it back on.

That very well could be - a loose mount or light "clamping pressure" wouldn't help groups!

I do hear the accuracy complaint a lot though - and many claim they have the thing on tight and know how to adjust the cam...

My own experience with them has been that there's no improvement in accuracy for me. And I do know how to adjust the clamp pressure and zero the scope - and that you need to adjust windage to the right when going down range (200, 300 meters, etc.) due to the offset mount causing you to hold left.

Edited by O.S.O.K.
  • 3 weeks later...

I use the 8x42VD POSP scope on my S-308 for hunting white tail, and I love it. It's almost like cheating with the lighted reticle and all. I had great shots at 150+ yards. The range finder is EXTREMELY useful when judging your shots.

When zeroing, it is vital to make sure rail fit is tight. Also, when adjusting for elevation/windage, make sure you tighten the reticle screws AFTER EVERY ADJUSTMENT!!! It's time consuming, but it's the only way. When I finally got it, I hit a 3 bulls eye group at 1.5 MOA, hand held using only a front rest. A great scope for the money, without a doubt.