4th Outing, Not Bad

The scope should have stayed on nice and tight this time.

I didn't have much time today, but I am happy I got to the range.

I'm still shooting from a carpet rest in front and off my shoulder in the back.

I didn't like those score keeper targets, I just couldn't see the holes even with the scope up on 9X.

I am going to get some shoot'n see targets.

Everything was 55g. I will try some 62g next time.

I am very pleased with the groups!!! Especially after my last outing.

post-4463-1166304395_thumb.jpg

I got out for my fourth trip today also. The weather has been unbelievably mild.

This is my best group so far. (rings are 5/8") Shot @ 100yds with some reloads (55gr. FMJ) I bought at Dick's Sporting Goods. Scope is a POSP 4X24, shot from a bipod on a bench. By the way, I shot these with my left eye to address the theory posed by by some posters that A Russian offset scope is meant to shot with the left eye. It worked for me but was difficult to get a good sight picture.

I'm curious to see a group with some quality ammo. post-4307-1166400224_thumb.jpg

Edited by pogy

Lookin' Good BD! :super:

I just got done cleaning the Saiga and realized something. Before that target shown, I shot about 30 rounds.

When I realized that I had the scope nearly zeroed, I ran a Bore Snake thru the barrel a few times. That was the group immediately following.

Hmmmmm! Clean barrel, better group!

Duh! :rolleyes:

Edited by pogy

I'm very close to buying a .223 or .308 Saiga. I've been hearing tales of 1-2 moa accuracy, which is amazing for such an inexpensive and semiauto rifle. These look like 5 moa groups and people are saying they are good. Sorry to be so blunt but before I buy I'd like to know what I can expect. So which is it?

OPFlash,

The group on the above target measures 2.5 inches center to center from the two extreme rounds.

That would be about 2.5 MOA. If you discard the two outermost, you're probably looking at 2" or two MOA.

That group was shot off a bipod with no support on the butt other than my shoulder. I'm not bragging about my shooting prowess. That's what I shot yesterday. Tomorrow will be different but those results are possible with my Saiga .223 20" barrel with commercial reloads.

What's wrong with some of BlackDog's groups? The top targets look pretty tight to me!

Bottom line is "you get what you pay for". If you want a tack driver, get a T/C Encore.

Edited by pogy

Pogy there was no way for me to tell how big a group yours was because there was no reference. The paper plates however are a standard size and offer somewhat of a reference. I have some plates just like that. The flat center has a diameter of 5.5" and its 8.5" overall, so they still look like approximately 5" 100yd groups to me.

I'm certainly not trying to belittle anyone's shooting ability, equipment, or the rifle. Like I said earlier I think some of the accuracy claims are amazing for such an inexpensive rifle, and am just curious as to which is more the norm, 1-2 moa or 4-5 moa?

OpFlash,

I didn't mean to be abrupt. The group on my target may be about as good as it gets, I don't know. I've only been out 4 times with the Saiga and that's the best so far. My experience so far is to think that when the barrel is clean and just warm, it will shoot 2-3 MOA @ 100 yards.

A friend has a .308 but is still dialing in his sights.

Edited by pogy

I was using some Adco 62g, Malaysian 55g and Brown Bear 62g.

Not exactly match grade,,,,

I bought some Black Hills, there was one box on the shelf that was $5 cheaper than all the other boxes. It had been there so long the bullet specs wore off the label, so I don't know if it is 55g like all the others that were on the shelf. :angel: It looks like there is a 6 on the box and then a VMAX.

I also bought some Winchester Supreme or something like that, in a fancy black box and chrome plating on the casing, it was $22 bucks for the box of 20 at Walmart.

I have the whole week off after Christmas, so unless the weather gets really, really cold, I will get out then.

I added this pic of my ammo "stash". The Brown Bear stuff actually shoots pretty well out of my Mini other than being dirty. The target is of my best Mini-14 group ever, 2-1/8" with the 62g Adco.

post-4463-1166579954_thumb.jpg

Edited by BlackDog